I made myself some flat mag bottoms.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Pulsar

I made myself some flat mag bottoms.

Post by Pulsar »

I pocket carry my P64 quite a bit, and I felt like the factory mag bottoms added difficulty in drawing and holstering the gun. Plus, removing them might also reduce printing. So I decided to make my own flat mag bottoms from some sheet metal. It took me several tries to get it right, but I'm very pleased with the results. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures along the way, because I wasn't sure which iteration would be the final version.

I started by removing a factory mag bottom and tracing around the bottom of the magazine on the piece of sheet metal with a pencil. That gave me a rough outline for cutting. I left a millimeter or two extra on each side to form the folded portion. I also cut the blank quite long so that I'd have a 'tail' to hold on to during the next couple of steps. Next, I cut another 'dummy strip' out of the sheet metal that was the same width as the lips on the bottom of the mag. With this strip as a guide I used a combination of vise, pliers, and a mallet to gradually bend the edges of the new mag bottom up and around the dummy strip. It wasn't very easy to extract the dummy strip from the mag bottom after hammering it into shape, so I was glad to have the long 'tail' to pull on with vise-grips! With the folding done, I used a file to align the inner edges of the folds so it would fit nicely onto the magazine. Then, I used a hacksaw to cut a groove in one side so the magazine spring will latch it in place just like the factory mag bottom. Then, finally I snipped the long 'tail' piece off and had a complete mag bottom.

I then headed to the range with the new mag bottom installed to see how they felt while shooting. I was pleasantly surprised that they are actually quite comfortable for me, and didn't seem to affect my accuracy. In fact I liked it so much I made another one. I finally got around to painting them black this weekend. Until now they were the same beige color as the 1960's chest freezer I made them from. Now they look like they belong on the gun! I snapped a couple photos after painting. Enjoy!
Comparison of factory and DIY mag bottom (top view).
Comparison of factory and DIY mag bottom (top view).
Comparison of factory and DIY mag bottom (bottom view).
Comparison of factory and DIY mag bottom (bottom view).
Magazine with new mag bottom installed.
Magazine with new mag bottom installed.
P64 with modified magazine inserted.
P64 with modified magazine inserted.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: I made myself some flat mag bottoms.

Post by Curly1 »

Nice job!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

You went to a lot of trouble and time. I just hope it works to your satisfaction and was worth the effort. Looks good. Don't know that I'd have had the patience!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Thanks! Yes it did require a fair bit of time and patience. During the process I was worried that I wouldn't like the final result, or that it would hurt when shooting. After trying it out, I couldn't be happier. I'm not sure the final result on its own was worth the trouble, but I enjoy learning new things, overcoming challenges, and knowing that I turned an idea into reality. In that sense it was totally worth it!