Slide spring weirdness

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mdh

Slide spring weirdness

Post by mdh »

So I've got 2 P64s, and I put wolff hammer springs in both of them with no problems. I've toyed around with a few different springs back there without any issue on either. I also snagged the pack of (20#, 22#, and 18#) slide springs as well. I put the 22# in one of the guns to see how it felt and it went in just fine. Little bit heavier to pull back on the slide to get it re-seated, but it seated just fine.

On the other one, though, the slide spring it came with is a bit shorter and the slide can't be reinstalled with any of the three wolff springs in there. The spring prevents the slide from making it back far enough to engage all the way down. Anyone else ever seen a P64 that uses a slightly shorter slide spring? Seems like an odd one, I'll share more details on request. If I recall correctly, both guns are circa '68.

Thanks!
chestertnted

Re: Slide spring weirdness

Post by chestertnted »

Be interested in what everyone says.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Does the stock recoil spring of the other gun fit?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Did you grind the ends of the new springs flat like the original ones? Wolff should do it but, alas, they don't. Look at the 18# OEM springs that came in the gun and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ends of the new spring(s) MUST be ground flat so as to work properly. I think that may solve your problem, length of spring notwithstanding. I think you might've been lucky with the first one. I'd grind both springs to be sure....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mdh

Post by mdh »

robhic wrote:Did you grind the ends of the new springs flat like the original ones? Wolff should do it but, alas, they don't. Look at the 18# OEM springs that came in the gun and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ends of the new spring(s) MUST be ground flat so as to work properly. I think that may solve your problem, length of spring notwithstanding. I think you might've been lucky with the first one. I'd grind both springs to be sure....
I think you might be right here. I did notice that they were flat on the stock springs, but I had never seen any documentation that this would need to be done on the wolff springs so I didn't think of that.

What's the best way to grind them? Never done that before, so not sure what the best method is.

Thanks!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Something that you need to note when putting these springs on; The replacement springs don't match exactly the factory originals. The originals are flattened at the ends, where the replacements are not. Some people don't have a problem with this. But for most of us it will cause the slide to bind. Refer to this thread to match the ends:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&#p39176
Do NOT try to put the slide on if it does not seem like it wants to!!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

mdh wrote:
robhic wrote:Did you grind the ends of the new springs flat like the original ones? Wolff should do it but, alas, they don't. Look at the 18# OEM springs that came in the gun and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ends of the new spring(s) MUST be ground flat so as to work properly. I think that may solve your problem, length of spring notwithstanding. I think you might've been lucky with the first one. I'd grind both springs to be sure....
I think you might be right here. I did notice that they were flat on the stock springs, but I had never seen any documentation that this would need to be done on the wolff springs so I didn't think of that.

What's the best way to grind them? Never done that before, so not sure what the best method is.

Thanks!
If you can get to a bench grinder that would be easiest. Dremel second. Some kind of electric grinder is the best. Used a Dremel on a few and got access to a friend's bench grinder for the others and THAT was best, fastest and easiest, hands down. Doesn't take much, just get that first coil, both ends, flat. DONE! :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mdh

Post by mdh »

Slick! Time to go find some wood, a nail, and some sandpaper.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I had this exact same problem with the Wolff spring, and this was back in July. Folks say it's been an issue longer than that. You'd think Wolff would start shipping the springs pre-flattened.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
stunnoi1234

Post by stunnoi1234 »