Brutal Recoil

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
valetnlv

Re: Brutal Recoil

Post by valetnlv »

I dont understand so many people saying Brutal recoil. Also many talk about bleeding hands , I have a p64 and p 83 and just dont feel it .The wife also has a p64 and we will go out and shoot 50+ rounds each and its not bad. I have been working in law enforcement and shot a lot so maybe the recoil i am numb too but the wife says its not bad. So if you are thinking of getting a p64 or p83 get it and have fun. just my 2 cents.
Hapax

Post by Hapax »

I've tried the Wolff extra power recoil spring and I don't think it makes any real difference in felt recoil. The ammo brand (Wolf, Tula, etc.) doesn't seem to make much difference either.

The best way to reduce recoil on the P-64 is to load your own rounds. :)
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Hapax wrote:I've tried the Wolff extra power recoil spring and I don't think it makes any real difference in felt recoil. The ammo brand (Wolf, Tula, etc.) doesn't seem to make much difference either.

The best way to reduce recoil on the P-64 is to load your own rounds. :)
There are folks on both sides of this issue. After thinking about it, the gun was designed with an 18# recoil spring. I look at it like light (18#) spring is foam rubber and heavy spring (22#) is like hardened rubber. Which is gonna be softer and absorb more recoil impulse? IMO, the heavy spring will transmit more energy to the GUN. Lighter spring absorbs more.

Some disagree but most all agree that felt recoil doesn't vary much spring to spring.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 on that Rob.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Citroen

Post by Citroen »

Thank you to all for the helpful replies. My Wolff spring kit came in today so i will make the changes I believe may help. Weasel640 - I especially thank you for the suggestions. Yes, we are not far apart in NC - actually I was born at Fort Bragg - my father was career Army and I was a Bragg Brat.

My sister still lives there and my wife and I attend my class reunions there. The last of which took place over the weekend of National Airborne Day so we were able to attend the ceremonies at the Special Operations Museum and enjoy the speeches by the officers. It was a grand and humbling experience and I was duly impressed both with the advances in military firepower and the kindness of the current crop of troopers. I loved it and will go back again and again. My wife and I were there for the opening and dedication of the Special Ops Museum several years ago and have toured it several times - each time with misty eyes and a wish that everybody in this great country could visit this fantastic tribute to American's finest.

Now, soapbox aside, I bought my P64 and Star Super B at the same time from Classic Firearms in Indian Trail, NC just outside of Charlotte. The Star is an interesting weapon but the P64 is amazing. Not at all like my CZ82s even though they share the same ammo.

Once I return to the range with the new springs in place, i will be able to decide if I keep this neat little gun or not. I do not like guns that kill at both ends but really like the size and feel of the P64.

If you get to Charlotte - let me know. Perhaps we can have lunch or something. I do get to Fayetteville on occasions and hope to do so more in 2016. My grandfather is buried in the Post Cemetery and I need to pay a visit there.

Take care - keep calm and carry!
John
Charlotte, NC
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Something that you need to note when putting these spring on; The replacement springs don't match exactly the factory originals. The originals are flattened at the ends, where the replacements are not. Some people don't have a problem with this. But for most of us it will cause the slide to bind. Refer to this thread to match the ends:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&#p39176
Do NOT try to put the slide on if it does not seem like it wants to.

I've been out to Charlotte a few times. Being from the D.C. area I liked it out there, but that drive sucks, there seems to be no way to get anywhere directly in this state.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Citroen

Post by Citroen »

Thanks again for the suggestions. Robert, I commend you for a sharp eye and excellent observation. When I was field striping the gun to install the Wolf recoil spring, I inspected (for the first time) the rear where the stocks meet. Sure enough, there is a sharp ridge which appears to be the way the stocks were molded.

I think a little, careful, smoothing of this will help but I do have some sailor's gloves and will try them, also.

As to stiffer vs standard or even lighter, recoil springs, I guess different people have different theories. I fall into the camp that believes that a stiffer spring will absorb more energy by providing greater resistance. What made me a firm believer of that is my Kahr CM9 The gun is about the size of the P64 and holds 6 plus 1 of 9mm X 19 (Luger) ammo. It is the softest recoiling compact 9 I have ever shot. And it must have a 30 pound recoil spring as I can hardly work the slide to load a round from the magazine. Nothing I own is that difficult to cycle.

After the next range session I will let you know how things work out.

Thanks again,
John
Citroen

Re: Brutal Recoil udate

Post by Citroen »

FYI - after smoothing the sharp angles of the grip panels and changing to the #20 recoil spring AND with rigger's gloves, the recoil was still stout but manageable. I used the #20 spring to ensure that the slide would still retract for ejection and it did.

Now I will try the #22 pound spring. As to the weaker vs. stiffer spring, My belief is that the recoil spring controls the speed of the slide in recoil and that the stiffer spring will slow it and absorb more of the recoil action. The old action - reaction axiom. My experience with the #20 spring seems to bear that out but, as usual, I could be wrong.

Will let you know the results of the #22 pound spring as, even with the crappy sights, I like the little gun and would like to keep and, on occasion, carry it.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.
John
Charlotte, NC