Gun jams when loading, loose magazine

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ryukotse_yuki

Gun jams when loading, loose magazine

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

So today was my 2nd time at the range with the p-64. The 1st day out I put around 100 rounds through without my problems. Today i was having load issue where the gun would jam. I then noticed that the magazine felt loose under my pinkie. Could it be my pushing up on the magazine with my pinkie while firing?? It seems to only be with one magazine and not the 2nd. Any help would be appreciated!!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Gun jams when loading, loose magazine

Post by normsutton »

it could be and after market mag, especially if doesn't do it with one mag and not the other

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

ill see if i can tell. they both have identical sequential numbers engraved in them.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Have you disassembled and cleaned the mags?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Is the mag getting fully seated? Could be the chamber area needs a good scrubbing. Could be lacquer or other residue in the way. If it handled both mags before, it might be the problem.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

thanks for the replies!!! i will try all of that today and see how it behaves. It may be the coating on the ammo if it works well after cleaning (and the ammo sucks) I gave up shooting it between the jams and the misfires from the rounds. Thanks again!!!
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

Will be at the range on Thursday and will report back if the full strip and clean didnt work to solve the load issue.
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

well it didnt seem to jam after a thorough cleaning!!! the mag bein able to move in and out about 1/4 in is still a little odd to me though!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

What brand of ammo are you using and did you use it in all your range sessions?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

I was using Wolf FMJ and i did not use it all as the gun was having issues and out of about 20 rounds i had 6 FTF with clearly impacted primers
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

ryukotse_yuki wrote:I was using Wolf FMJ and i did not use it all as the gun was having issues and out of about 20 rounds i had 6 FTF with clearly impacted primers
How is your trigger pull? You may need to switch your Hammer Spring to a stiffer one.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Was it the Wolf ammo with the conical head on it instead of round nose?

I had problems with the not rounded nose wolf ammo in my CZ82.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

its the rounded head. and the trigger pill i good but i didnt think about that i put the #18 replacement spring in to subdue that DA
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

ryukotse_yuki wrote:its the rounded head. and the trigger pill i good but i didnt think about that i put the #18 replacement spring in to subdue that DA
Did you have this problem prior to changing springs? Or maybe you hadn't shot it enough with the original spring to know?

Having a Hammer Spring to light has been known to cause problems such as failure to feed, dropping mags, and light strikes. Normally people report it with the 17 lb Hammer Spring. But these are milsup and all are different, some have reported it with the 18 lb spring. You haven't reported dropping mags but with the amount of play you are saying, you are almost there. You may just need to go up to the 19 lb spring, hence the reason they sell the variety pak for a better cost.
ryukotse_yuki wrote:well it didnt seem to jam after a thorough cleaning!!! the mag bein able to move in and out about 1/4 in is still a little odd to me though!
The symptom you are describing above does not seem right. When you have the Mag loaded in the P-64, it should be seated firmly. If you have that much play, then you have a problem with either your Mag or your Hammer Strut/Mag Release assembly.

Have you been marking/keeping track of the mag that is having the problem? If so how does it compare side by side with a good one?

Another thing you can do is take off the grips, load an inert (snap cap) round in the mags, and compare the movement of the Hammer Strut/Mag Release assembly when loading or dropping the mag. Also check to make sure your Strut Washer is still in place.

Lastly (because it takes more work) put a heavier hammer spring (hopefully you got the variety pak) in, and compare the movement of the Hammer Strut/Mag Release assembly, again w/the grips off. Then take it to the range and test.

If it were me, I'd go up the the 19 lb Hammer Spring, test at the range and determine if the 20 lb Hammer Spring is needed. If you intend on carrying it, do not sacrifice reliability for ease of use in a lighter spring.

Here is a helpful link to reference when troubleshooting, you can download each pdf for ease of use:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536

Oh and try to stay away from using "FTF" as it can mean "Failure to Feed" or "Failure to Fire". If someone is helping you troubleshoot each one can indicate very different issues and you'll just waste every ones time if people are guessing what you mean.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

thanks for the info and tips i did mean a feed issue and didnt pay attention. 1 mag does seem to be feeding properly and will look over them side-by-side, along with the other steps. I have shot pistols all my life but am new to woning them. Know shotguns infinitely better and am enjoying all the new thing to learn!!!