Gun jams when loading, loose magazine

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ryukotse_yuki

Re: Gun jams when loading, loose magazine

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

Latest update! everything is working well, the wolf ammo is still not firing reliable but federals are! so either a bad batch of primers or something. Thanks again for all the help!!!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news and thanx for the update.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

So its been a while, and here is an update. Loading a lot better now, however still fails occasionally and i have noticed a pair of marrings on the back of the casings on the lip, about 1/4 in apart. and it has started to light strike primers.....
Last edited by ryukotse_yuki on March 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryukotse_yuki

Post by ryukotse_yuki »

Weasel640 wrote:
ryukotse_yuki wrote:its the rounded head. and the trigger pill i good but i didnt think about that i put the #18 replacement spring in to subdue that DA
Did you have this problem prior to changing springs? Or maybe you hadn't shot it enough with the original spring to know?

Having a Hammer Spring to light has been known to cause problems such as failure to feed, dropping mags, and light strikes. Normally people report it with the 17 lb Hammer Spring. But these are milsup and all are different, some have reported it with the 18 lb spring. You haven't reported dropping mags but with the amount of play you are saying, you are almost there. You may just need to go up to the 19 lb spring, hence the reason they sell the variety pak for a better cost.
ryukotse_yuki wrote:well it didnt seem to jam after a thorough cleaning!!! the mag bein able to move in and out about 1/4 in is still a little odd to me though!
The symptom you are describing above does not seem right. When you have the Mag loaded in the P-64, it should be seated firmly. If you have that much play, then you have a problem with either your Mag or your Hammer Strut/Mag Release assembly.

Have you been marking/keeping track of the mag that is having the problem? If so how does it compare side by side with a good one?

Another thing you can do is take off the grips, load an inert (snap cap) round in the mags, and compare the movement of the Hammer Strut/Mag Release assembly when loading or dropping the mag. Also check to make sure your Strut Washer is still in place.

Lastly (because it takes more work) put a heavier hammer spring (hopefully you got the variety pak) in, and compare the movement of the Hammer Strut/Mag Release assembly, again w/the grips off. Then take it to the range and test.

If it were me, I'd go up the the 19 lb Hammer Spring, test at the range and determine if the 20 lb Hammer Spring is needed. If you intend on carrying it, do not sacrifice reliability for ease of use in a lighter spring.

Here is a helpful link to reference when troubleshooting, you can download each pdf for ease of use:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536

Oh and try to stay away from using "FTF" as it can mean "Failure to Feed" or "Failure to Fire". If someone is helping you troubleshoot each one can indicate very different issues and you'll just waste every ones time if people are guessing what you mean.
I will change out the hammer spring and give it a try again. as well as look at the mags with the grips off. thanks again for the help!