firing p64 without safety lever

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
taylor775

firing p64 without safety lever

Post by taylor775 »

so I have purchased a p64, but it does not have a safety lever. can I shoot with it like it is now or is it not safe?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: firing p64 without safety lever

Post by Ketchman »

Taylor,
I am going to assume you do not have a lot of firearms experience. if I am wrong please excuse me. No, DO NOT SHOOT IT. How did you buy the gun? From a individual or from a dealer? If from an individual then you NEED to take the gun to a qualified gunsmith and have him check the entire gun over to see if there are ANY OTHER missing pieces. If from a dealer then you should contact them about exchanging for a gun that is in one piece and ssafe to use. Yours is patently unsafe in it's current condition if it is indeed missing the safety. Can you post pics?
And thank you for seeking advise on this before you decided to "see what happens" and shot it.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

No it is absolutely NOT safe!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+2 no do not shoot it or put live ammo in it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

What exactly makes it unsafe to fire? Unsafe to carry I understand, but firing? The safety has nothing to do with the breach face.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

1) the safety is part of the fire control group- missing any part of thaflt group may make it function in a manner other than designed, ie:unsafe.
2) If somehing as obvious as the safety is missing, what else is missing that may NOT be as obvious, again potentially very unsafe.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Ketchman wrote:1) the safety is part of the fire control group- missing any part of thaflt group may make it function in a manner other than designed, ie:unsafe.
2) If somehing as obvious as the safety is missing, what else is missing that may NOT be as obvious, again potentially very unsafe.
I'm not trying to be rude, but neither of those is an actual answer.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Then I cannot help you.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

snailman153624 wrote:
Ketchman wrote:1) the safety is part of the fire control group- missing any part of thaflt group may make it function in a manner other than designed, ie:unsafe.
I'm not trying to be rude, but neither of those is an actual answer.
http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Assembly_Manual.pdf

Page 11-18!!!!!

A basic understanding of the P-64's parts already answers this as did Ketchman. But as you can see on pages 11-18 of the manual linked above and available HERE; The safety holds the firing pin in the slide, if by some chance the firing pin stays in the slide long enough to fire the first shot, during the cycling of that first shot the firing pin would shoot out the back of the P-64 striking the shooter in the face. That is the first obvious thing that would happen. There are probably other malfunctions that would happen but lets not get into those and just say that it's STUPID to fire a pistol knowing the safety is missing, discussion over!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Just sort of a shot in the dark but .......... when you say "does not have a safety lever" do you mean the entire assembly is gone? As in there is a gaping hole in the side of your pistol? Or is the safety LEVER broken off, thereby making the safety 'missing' in some form but not gone altogether?

Everyone's answered as to the entire piece being GONE, leaving a hole. But safety (lever) missing, as in broken off could also be the issue. maybe we're assuming wrongly.

IMO, like all have said DO NOT FIRE THE GUN WITH THE SAFETY ASSEMBLY MISSING AND A HOLE IN YOUR GUN!!! I think, even at that price I'd ask for a return. You bought a GUN - not a parts cache.

If "missing" as in the lever part ONLY is broken off then I'd think the gun was useable, just use it with caution and a pair of pliers (or something) to turn the assembly until a new one can be acquired.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

If any part of a weapon is broken in any manner and that broken part is part of the pieces / parts that make the weapon function (see Weasel640's post above as an example) the weapon is potentially unsafe. Force necessary to remove the lever of the safety from the safety barrell can cause metal fracturing or fatigue that could cause the pistol to have a high speed comeapart upon firing. This in turn may cause a high speed comeapart of the person firing the weapon, ie: unsafe. This is not you grandfather's TV and the channel dial handle is broken.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:Just sort of a shot in the dark but .......... when you say "does not have a safety lever" do you mean the entire assembly is gone? As in there is a gaping hole in the side of your pistol? Or is the safety LEVER broken off, thereby making the safety 'missing' in some form but not gone altogether?

Everyone's answered as to the entire piece being GONE, leaving a hole. But safety (lever) missing, as in broken off could also be the issue. maybe we're assuming wrongly.

IMO, like all have said DO NOT FIRE THE GUN WITH THE SAFETY ASSEMBLY MISSING AND A HOLE IN YOUR GUN!!! I think, even at that price I'd ask for a return. You bought a GUN - not a parts cache.

If "missing" as in the lever part ONLY is broken off then I'd think the gun was useable, just use it with caution and a pair of pliers (or something) to turn the assembly until a new one can be acquired.
I feel we are getting off topic. The original question was weather it was safe. The answer is NO IT IS NOT SAFE, plain and simple.

In another thread the OP seemed to indicate that it the safety is missing all together. Also I don't think he has yet said what he paid.

On the safety itself, where the lever part forms into the barrel or cylindrical part is actually really strong as there is a decent amount of metal there. The weak point and most common place it breaks is right in the center at the channel where the firing pin passes through, as that is where the most metal is cut away. When the safety does break, it tends to crack at this center point, rendering the P-64 totally unsafe to continue using.
Weasel

valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

i would load a clip and chamber a round and try to fire it. might not be drop safe but to carry it with out a round chambered or just for practice .
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Really!!! :shock: :shock: Remind me to not go to the range with you please.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

valetnlv wrote:i would load a clip and chamber a round and try to fire it. might not be drop safe but to carry it with out a round chambered or just for practice .
I'm not sure you saw the part about "during the cycling of that first shot the firing pin would shoot out the back of the P-64 striking the shooter in the face."!!!!
Weasel