Round sometime sticks in chamber

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
SkippySanchez

Round sometime sticks in chamber

Post by SkippySanchez »

P64 newbie here again with another question.

Occasionally the chambered round will not eject when I rack the slide by hand, as when unloading to change from HPs to ball ammo. Today the slide would simply not rack when I was at the range so I just shot it (no mag). Fired fine, slide locked back as expected. Shot fine all day no problems.

Is there something I should look at that might be causing the slide to hang up? Extractor perhaps?

Thanks for your input.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Round sometime sticks in chamber

Post by Curly1 »

Make sure your chamber is clean.

What kinda ammo you using.

I have a Hungarian M37 that will not eject snap caps but it ejects fired casings fine.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

Thanks, I thought that might be a possibility. I've had it for a few months now and mostly been shooting Monarch; Lord only knows what's been shot in it since 1967.

I wondered if it could be some lacquer buildup.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yea try different ammo and see if you still have the problem before cleaning the chamber.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Lacquer is a problem.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

+3 on cleaning the chamber! Might just need a GOOD scrubbing to get it up to spec so your problem will disappear. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

Well, since I went shooting yesterday I had to clean it anyway so I let it soak in a concoction of Ed's Red Bore Cleaner for several hours then scrubbed the chamber with a twisted piece of Scotch Brite pad, followed by a bore brush and a swab of Eezox down the barrel. Let it dry real well and loaded with brass-cased JHPs. I hand-ejected a couple rounds and it seems to function fine.

Thanks for the input.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Fantastic. I do not shoot steel with lawyer for that reason.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

Well, I don't think it was a lacquer build up problem after all. On further inspection, the rounds that hang up on the chamber show a slight rough edge on one side of the case mouth, flairing outward just a bit. I can can feel it easier than see it.

This indicates the case is getting caught on the feed ramp or the top edge of the chamber.

I'll try marking a round with a sharpie @ 12:00 to see where it might be hitting.

Edit: after marking the round, it appears that the rough edge is in the 6 o'clock position, indicating the case is dragging somewhere around the feed ramp, although I'm not detecting sharp edges in the area.

I know on 1911s you are not supposed to chamber a round by hand then release the slide or risk a broken extractor. My guess it's the same on a p64?
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

SkippySanchez wrote:Well, I don't think it was a lacquer build up problem after all. On further inspection, the rounds that hang up on the chamber show a slight rough edge on one side of the case mouth, flairing outward just a bit. I can can feel it easier than see it.

This indicates the case is getting caught on the feed ramp or the top edge of the chamber.

I'll try marking a round with a sharpie @ 12:00 to see where it might be hitting.

Edit: after marking the round, it appears that the rough edge is in the 6 o'clock position, indicating the case is dragging somewhere around the feed ramp, although I'm not detecting sharp edges in the area.

I know on 1911s you are not supposed to chamber a round by hand then release the slide or risk a broken extractor. My guess it's the same on a p64?
Ok, now I think the problem is solved. I used a little bit of 600 grit paper to polish the feed ramp, plus I realized that rather than releasing the slide and letting it fly back into place via the spring (like with my 1911) , if I ride the side a little bit slower the round chambers nicely, and there are no rough edges on case.