Help! Slide locked.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
xmlr

Help! Slide locked.

Post by xmlr »

Hi there. New guy. Shooting my new AIM P-64 150 rounds with no problems. First shot from a reload fired fine and ejected but the slide is locked back. I cannot move it forward it moves back about 1/8" but not far enough remove slide.
Where to begin?
Attachments
IMG_20151015_141202.jpg
tech 1

Re: Help! Slide locked.

Post by tech 1 »

Just a guess, slide stop lever stuck or bulged barrel. Maybe take off the grips and look. Inspect ur barrel. Some one will probably chime in with another idea or two.
xmlr

Post by xmlr »

OK. You were correct the slide stop was against the breech preventing the slide from coming forward. I was able to move it out of the way and the slide came forward. I have now removed the slide. So how do I correct the problem with the slide lock?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Promise I'm not being a smart a**, but you DID remove the magazine, didn't you? That done, the slide hold-back lever should only function with an empty magazine to operate it. (one of my only pet peeves with these guns.) I would take the slide off and play with the lever, making sure it is 1) free to drop down as far as it's supposed to and 2) see if it is straight in-line with the frame where it rests when not in use. Lube, push the pivot-point (towards the front of the lever) to make sure it's seated all the way and also check the little spring to make sure it's seating in the slot in the lever where it sits and it's not skewed or crooked and jamming the lever against the barrel or something making the lever stick in an 'UP' position. That's what I'd do ....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
xmlr

Post by xmlr »

robhic: Of course I removed the magazine. The slide stop spring is in place and the slide stop moves freely. The stop seats where it is supposed to.The upper left edge of the stop is a bit peened where it hit the breech face. However it does not move inward far enough to interfere with the breech face, which was the original malfunction.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Are you saying the spring of the slide lock lever does not push the lever deep enough to release the slide?
xmlr

Post by xmlr »

gemini1: What happened was after the round was fired, the shell was ejected and on the way back the slide lock bar hit the bolt face and wedged itself there so the slide could not move forward. for some reason I could not pull the slide back either. Pulling the slide back as far as I could (1/8") I was able to push the slide lock lever out away from the bolt face, thus freeing the slide. I have no idea how the lever got so far in there, or how to repair the pistol.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

OK, I got ya now! I had one that did exactly the same thing as you describe. The lever would, essentially, raise up and pinch that raised rim around the breech-face, locking the slide back solid. Yep I know the drill.... There are a couple of threads (one very looooooong one w/pictures from another member who had this problem, too) describing the problem and, yes, the FIX!

I, initially tried bending the lever outward with pliers until I was afraid of breaking something. Didn't work. :cry: So I summoned the courage to Dremel the slide, itself, 1) flattening that ridge which was worn/peened so the slide would slip off and 2) ground back just a bit into the round body of the slide itself (yes, I know, heresy!!!) to widen that ridge a bit in the outer direction. The other member with this problem did about the same (with better Dremel skills than I... :mrgreen: ) and was kind enough to take pictures as he progressed.

End result was that the grinding flat and some to the outside seemed to work. A new slide-lock lever couldn't hurt, but do the destructive work first ( :mrgreen: ) and if it still continues to jam up your slide then you might need to replace the lever. I had the luxury of having another pistol so swapped levers and they both work fine... GOOD LUCK!

Here's the thread: "Slide Not Holding Back" viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5696&start=0
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
xmlr

Post by xmlr »

robhic: Good suggestion. I can see some evidence of the slide lock lever scraping on the slide. Surprising because this pistol was, best I can tell, was never fired when I received it ... suggesting a manufacturing defect somewhere. It looks like enough wear to indicate interference during the normal cycling and that the lock-up was a result of this wear. Do you have the url for the thread with pictures?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Here is another post with some pics

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5696
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

xmlr wrote:robhic: Do you have the url for the thread with pictures?
Yes, it's at the end of my last post AND it's the same one Curly posted, too. It starts with another member's problem that was same as yours and mine. I gave him my thoughts and suggestions to fix like I did and he followed them. Plus, he took pictures along the way as a bonus! So far, I haven't seen any further problems from the other poster and I've been trouble-free, also.
- Robert

xmlr

Post by xmlr »

Sorry guys, but I see no pictures. There are (dead) links to the Polish parts on gunbroker, but I thought you meant pictures of the actual slide modifications. I am going to order spares from him but it would be nice to see what others did.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Posted the wrong link, try this one.

Page 2 has the pics.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5696
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
xmlr

Post by xmlr »

Thanks! Not used to this board; blue on black was not too visible to me to see the link to those additional pages.
xmlr

Post by xmlr »

Careful inspection leads me to believe that my original failure was due to a weak slide-stop spring. While my slide always locked back on the the last round, recall that my failure occurred after round 1 from a fully loaded magazine. So I believe the slide-stop spring did not return the slide stop to its seated position. With the slide removed I saw that the spring gradually worked its way aft after multiple hand operations, and also the return force seemed weak.