P64 Slide Stuck all the way back

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
SouthSideFrank

P64 Slide Stuck all the way back

Post by SouthSideFrank »

I just got my first p64 yesterday. Worked fine in double and single action, dry fired. I took the slide off and while looking it over the trigger spring came off the trigger bar. I removed the grips to set the trigger bar correctly and removed the slide stop and spring to get to the trigger spring. I was able to set the spring over the bar which looked like it was working properly, replaced the slide stop and its spring and went to put the slide back on. With the trigger guard down I pulled the slide all the way back and down but it is now stuck and completely unmovable. It does not budge. Trigger and trigger bar move, and the trigger guard will move up and down. Can anyone help???

Thanks!!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P64 Slide Stuck all the way back

Post by Weasel640 »

Maybe try putting on some tight fitting shooting gloves to get a better grip. Try to remove the slide by hand and see if you can identify the hang-up. If you can't get it of by hand maybe try a rubber mallet or piece of wood to tap it lightly. Oh also some people also use the edge of a wooden work bench, rest the Slide on the bench and put pressure on the Frame to free it up.

Also refer to these for help on replacing anything that may have shifted:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
SouthSideFrank

Post by SouthSideFrank »

Thank you for your reply, using force, by hand, I have been able to move the slide forward about 1/2 the way. I will try to encourage it further. Hope nothing breaks.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I've had my slide do crazy things like this, too, sometimes. No explanation, take it off, try again, it goes on. One thing - make sure the recoil spring is on properly if you happened to take it off. There's a small and large end(s). Smaller end goes over first with larger end out towards muzzle. Another thing since you're playing with the slide lock lever. Make sure it is sitting down and IN as far as it can go. Mine was stuck rubbing the lever once and it made re-assembly a real chore. Good luck! (And yes, force is sometimes a necessary component.)
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

The recoil spring on backwards, it is VERY hard to get the slide on!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
herr mario

Post by herr mario »

.......have had that happen to me......(not spring on wrong way)......as weird as this may sound,I used my other hand and it was a piece of cake.... all I can think of for this is that using my one hand somehow wasnt gettin me the right angle....I've been doing it that way ever since with no probs...worth a try ...
...typical bitter clinger...
SouthSideFrank

Post by SouthSideFrank »

It is off. Using small rubber hammer I was able to move the slide back to what looked like battery but it was still immovable by normal means. Hammered it back but only halfway. Soaked it with oil. I had lubed it when apart but sprayed anything I could and left to meet the boys to hammer the little white ball, eat BBQ, drink cold beverages and stare at the fire until midnight. after a 12 hour soak it parted with just a little resistance. I expected to see the slide stop folded in half or the recoil spring twisted but all looks well. The spring was on little end first, which I think is right. I am leaving it apart until I can compare with my friends 1970. Seems like a bad dream now.

Thank you all for taking the time to help. This looks like a great community!!!
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Just seems that tolerances are too tight? Needs cleaning? I had a similar problem with a Helwan. The problem was the take down lug was not straight, so the slide could not get by.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
SouthSideFrank

Post by SouthSideFrank »

All is well on the south side. Best gun buddy, JP brought his P64 1970 over and we compared parts and positions. When we first put it back together it was still stiff and prob would not cycle. When looking at his the slide stop spring was a little further forward than mine so we worked that in. Also, the trigger pin has an end that is more oblong than round and that was turned to the side on mine, where his was pointing up. We turned that the same way and now all is perfect once again, if you consider that double action pull perfect. I hope this discussion helps the next person that wonders if his brand new (to him or her ) P64 has just become an expensive paperweight. Thanks to all that cared enough to pitch in!!!!!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Great news! Thanx for the update Frank.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Glad you got everything back together.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.