New Wolff recoil spring came with extra FP spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
culpeper

New Wolff recoil spring came with extra FP spring

Post by culpeper »

So, the new recoil spring came with a firing pin spring. I'm assuming the FP spring is recommended to be replaced also or should I just leave it alone.

Also, I changed the original hammer spring with a #18 Wolff and by sticking a new pencil with the eraser end down the barrel it is not shooting out as far now. I also use this method to test the decocker.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New Wolff recoil spring came with extra FP spring

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum

I never replaced my FP spring and have no problems.

If you start seeing striation marks on the casings caused by the FP dragging across them then change it otherwise I would leave it be.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Thanks. I'm ready to take it out to the proving ground this weekend. Been a Bulgy Mak shooter for several years now. This P64 is a completely different animal but I like the way it looks and feels. Very nice piece. Replaced with a #22 recoil spring. Hoping it will time right with the #18 hammer spring. DA pull is approx. #24 now and the SA is #4. I'm just basing this on a spring fish scale. It feels lower than that though.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I think you will find that it has a hair trigger in SA now.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Yes, what do you use?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I got it with the hammer spring changed so not sure if it is 17 or 18 but I did replace the 22lb recoil spring with the stock spring as I was getting mag drops after the last round and the slide didn't hold open.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mosinmike

Post by mosinmike »

I love your idea about testing the decocker with a pencil. I've been afraid to use this due to horror stories I've heard.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I wonder why the Poles put the heavy DA pull on these. When they were trained I wonder what they were told.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I put the heavy recoil spring on, and too me not much of a change in felt recoil.
Probably do the new trigger spring soon.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

culpeper wrote:... #18 hammer spring. DA pull is approx. #24 now and the SA is #4. I'm just basing this on a spring fish scale. It feels lower than that though.
I put the 18# hammer spring and the guy at the range checked trigger-pull weight for me. DA was around 18 and SA was around 3.5 - 4 lbs.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

mosinmike wrote:I love your idea about testing the decocker with a pencil. I've been afraid to use this due to horror stories I've heard.
What horror story did you hear about shooting a pencil (eraser end down) from a pistol? You've got me curious. It's just a pencil unless someone told you "you could put your eye out doing that!" :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Wolff should be careful. Rounded spring ends but when you look at the original they are flattened. Wolff has rounded edges on Mararov springs as well but I notice the factory springs are flattened. Going through the threads on this site I see people are fixing it for slide dissemble from frame and reassemble. Took me a couple of minutes on the sander and much easier slide assy and disassy. I'm wondering if these rounded edges are causing people a lot of grief during firing. Especially, when changing to Wolff hammer springs as well. I don't understand the need for Wolff to have three different types of hammer springs if the only problem is the rounded recoil spring. If that is even the case at all. Seems weird to me. We only change Makarov recoil springs for the heck of it.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

culpeper wrote: I don't understand the need for Wolff to have three different types of hammer springs if the only problem is the rounded recoil spring. If that is even the case at all. Seems weird to me. We only change Makarov recoil springs for the heck of it.
s

I'm not following you. Recoil spring(s) and hammer spring(s) are two unrelated items. Some people prefer a little lighter (17, 18# hammer spring) and some prefer harder (19, 20# hammer spring). ALL are easier for DA than the OEM spring which is ridiculous! :shock: Recoil spring has no bearing on trigger pull. I've gone with the 20# recoil spring because I had 1-2 pistols that didn't return to battery reliably with 18# OEM weight spring. You are absolutely correct, though, about grinding the ends of the recoil spring flat. Originals were flat, I don't know why Wolffe doesn't do it. Someone here a few weeks back said he contacted Wolffe about this very thing. Can't remember the outcome... :oops:
- Robert

culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Yes, I found the response from wolff to the thread you are talking about. I guess I was rambling more than anything. If it is difficult to assy and disassy a slide with round end springs on a P64 than I'm assuming it is not functioning as designed while firing as well. I had to wear gloves to get the slide on and off with a new 22# recoil spring. After flattening the ends like the original it is not hard at all. I also checked the original hammer spring and it is flattened too. Same premise. I'm going to take it (Wolff) out and flatten the ends too. It may be critical and it may not. You have to forgive me. I've been studying this for less than a week. I did notice the new Wolff hammer spring was wanting to caterpillar once installed. I realize it is longer than the original but the rounded ends might be causing this. I don't know.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

culpeper wrote: I've been studying this for less than a week. I did notice the new Wolff hammer spring was wanting to caterpillar once installed. I realize it is longer than the original but the rounded ends might be causing this. I don't know.
To tell you the truth, I never noticed. I changed the spring, shot some grease into the cavity above where it fits in and re-assembled. Haven't had any problems using the 18# springs. I had 17# springs in at first and one gun gave light primer strikes so I just changed 'em all to 18 to be safe. I did one 19# for a friend but I've not ground the ends or done ANYthing to the hammer springs on 6 pistols to date. There is a small washer that fits on the rod before the spring goes on. Other than not losing that there ain't a whole lot else to it.
- Robert