Recommend Gunsmith ? P-64 jams real bad.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
SalemCat

Recommend Gunsmith ? P-64 jams real bad.

Post by SalemCat »

As a C&R, I bought a P-64 from SOG more than a year ago. I paid for Hand-Select, and they supplied a fine looking weapon.

Here in Eastern Massachusetts, you can't just go out into the woods and plink, so it wasn't until this Spring that I was able to get to a New Hampshire Indoor Firing Range to check it out.

I shot a full mag - no problem. Refilled it and began to shoot a second mag - severe jam !

I tried to unjam it - no way. I called the on-duty gunsmith - no way. He ended up taking it to the backroom and put it in his vise to finally clear it. Real scary.

The pistol is clean, oiled, looks like new, all matching numbers, and I was using new Brass Fiocchi ammo.

What I'd like to do is find a Gunsmith who is VERY familiar with the P-64, and who can do whatever it takes to transform this dog into a reliable weapon. Obviously I'd want him to fire at least three full magazines through it, with no failures of any kind, before I want it back.

Recommendations ?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Recommend Gunsmith ? P-64 jams real bad.

Post by robhic »

SalemCat wrote:I shot a full mag - no problem. Refilled it and began to shoot a second mag - severe jam !
Not trying to be a smart a**, but maybe try some different ammo before going full-blown panic and going to a gunsmith? 6 rounds isn't much of a test. I had jamming multi-round type and cleared myself. On 2 pistols 2-3 out of each magazine. :cry: I tried different ammo and they both worked perfectly. In my case, what stumped me (and still does) is that Silver Bear zinc-coated, steel-cased ammo double fed. Wolf WPA polymer-coated steel-cased ammo fed fine. All specs IDENTICAL except for the coating and NO ONE I've spoken to about this can give me any answer besides it just being an "ammo thing". How in the world can 2 identical bullets with ONLY a different coating act so differently? I don't know (nobody I know does, either) but it does.

If it were me, I'd clean the gun scrupulously. Especially the chamber and feed ramp. A polishing couldn't hurt. Then I'd take the magazines apart, scrub them out and make sure the feed lips were smooth and straight. Lubricate the gun sparingly - rails, slide, little on the feed ramp and make SURE the chamber is clean and not carboned or lacquered up from old, steel-cased Russkie ammo. Everything clean, free and lubed. New ammo and try again. GOOD LUCK!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

robhic wrote:
SalemCat wrote:I shot a full mag - no problem. Refilled it and began to shoot a second mag - severe jam !
Not trying to be a smart a**, but maybe try some different ammo before going full-blown panic and going to a gunsmith? 6 rounds isn't much of a test. I had jamming multi-round type and cleared myself. On 2 pistols 2-3 out of each magazine. :cry: I tried different ammo and they both worked perfectly. In my case, what stumped me (and still does) is that Silver Bear zinc-coated, steel-cased ammo double fed. Wolf WPA polymer-coated steel-cased ammo fed fine. All specs IDENTICAL except for the coating and NO ONE I've spoken to about this can give me any answer besides it just being an "ammo thing". How in the world can 2 identical bullets with ONLY a different coating act so differently? I don't know (nobody I know does, either) but it does.

If it were me, I'd clean the gun scrupulously. Especially the chamber and feed ramp. A polishing couldn't hurt. Then I'd take the magazines apart, scrub them out and make sure the feed lips were smooth and straight. Lubricate the gun sparingly - rails, slide, little on the feed ramp and make SURE the chamber is clean and not carboned or lacquered up from old, steel-cased Russkie ammo. Everything clean, free and lubed. New ammo and try again. GOOD LUCK!
Hi !

All good advice.

Not sure it applies here, though. The gun looks like new, is very clean. And although I own Steel Ammo, I can't even check it out, as the only range I can ever get access to requires BRASS.

As an aside, my CZ-82 with the same Fiocchi Ammo worked great ! No issues of any kind. I love it !

I'm not firing the P-64 again, though I might cycle some A-Zoom Dummies through it for the heck of it.

Having a weapon that is jammed with live ammo is not a weapon I want around, at all.
oldgunnut

Post by oldgunnut »

Is there a S/N on the mag and does it match the gun? I have two p64s one an early model round hammer and the other a late model triangle hammer. The early (round hammer) came with two mags one S/N matching and the other not. The matching mag works fine but the nonmatching jams once in a while. The early (round hammer) guns have a mag with shorter lips than the late models. The matching mag has short lips (they do not go as far to the front of the mag) and the mismatched has the longer lips for late guns. When I use the mismatched mag it sometime jams and the only way to clear is to remove the slide first and then the mag. If you have an early (round hammer) gun check both your mags (if you have two) side by side to see if one has shorter feed lips. If so use the short lipped mag. I am told the late mags can be made to work in early guns by shortening the lips from the front of the mag. I have not done it yet so I do not have first hand info. If your gun is a late model with triangle hammer I am no help.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

I'll take some pics, but this gun is messed up.

One mag came installed, and is unmarked. The other is electro-engraved with the proper, matching S/N.

At this point I cannot even get the Slide to come back ! Mag In, Mag Out, Safety On, Safety Off - the Slide will not move.

Safety Off - the Trigger is Locked and cannot be pulled back.

Safety ON - The Trigger pulls all the way back without resistance.

I pulled the Trigger Guard down and locked it to the side. The Slide still will not move.

I got a bad example, all right.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

OMG, I removed the Grips, and the springs and stuff that hold the Magazine in came apart.

Now the Slide can be removed, but I'm looking for an Exploded View to reassemble this sucker.

I hope I can find one, so do not sweat it.

I'm not lazy, and at least for now am not begging for a PDF.

Just keeping this post active.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

I found a really good exploded view.

The good news is I've not lost parts.

The bad is I cannot reassemble it.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

Honestly, I super appreciate everyone's advice.

But I'm just not up to fixing this dog by myself.

Paying an experienced Gunsmith to make it right would be a bargain.

Before I "F" it up beyond repair.

PS: And should I lose some tiny Washer ? PLEEZE ! Because I will.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

You need to browse this forum a little more. There's a lot of helpful threads that can guide you to get familiar with your gun.
Here's one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

These guns are really easy to work on. If you aren't up to the task probably your best option is to call around the gunsmiths in your area and take it to the one you get the best warm and fuzzy / best price from.
Also the is useful to have: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

Weasel640 wrote:These guns are really easy to work on. If you aren't up to the task probably your best option is to call around the gunsmiths in your area and take it to the one you get the best warm and fuzzy / best price from.
Also the is useful to have: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Honestly, it is always better to pay someone who is experienced. You don't want to pay for someone's learning curve and mistakes. You DO want to pay for experience and skill.

I can do a half-assed job for free. (and have)

An experienced Gunsmith may recommend different springs, etc, that an gunsmith lacking expertize with this weapon will have no clue of.

Either this firearm will be corrected by someone who knows what they are doing, or it will remain in the box it sits.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

The fact is that no gunsmith stateside designed this weapon, nor can most of them read the factory manual (it's not in English). Being so particular about some basic repairs/work on a $200 pistol is just silly. If you can operate a rubber mallet, pliers, and a screwdriver, you can fix or replace almost any part on this thing in under an hour.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

snailman153624 wrote:The fact is that no gunsmith stateside designed this weapon, nor can most of them read the factory manual (it's not in English). Being so particular about some basic repairs/work on a $200 pistol is just silly. If you can operate a rubber mallet, pliers, and a screwdriver, you can fix or replace almost any part on this thing in under an hour.
Agreed,

This gun is not anything very complicated. Any experienced gunsmith should be capable of working on it. It's like if you have a Honda Civic, almost any auto shop can work on it. But you are asking for a recommendation for a mechanic that has extensive knowledge working on a 2011 Honda Civic DX-VP with 1.8L 4-cyl. engine, 5-speed Manual, in Dark Red. The truth is that almost any mechanic should be able to provide quality work, but you want to unnecessarily send it off to that one guy to fix the breaks and change the oil.

Same thing with the P-64, ANY trained Gunsmith with half a brain should be capable of doing quality work on these. They are Military Surplus they where made to be easily repaired. If you want to continue down this road of nitpicking over a Gunsmith, maybe collecting Military Surplus weapons is NOT for you.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

SalemCat wrote:An experienced Gunsmith may recommend different springs, etc, that an gunsmith lacking expertize with this weapon will have no clue of.
Since the hammer spring, recoil spring and firing pin spring (which comes with the recoil spring) from Wolff Gunsprings https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pa ... D=1&mID=49 are available for around $11, I think replacing the 40+ year old springs might be a good idea! And good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

BAD NEWS

#16 Zerdz Sprezyny Uderzeniowej is snapped in half.

The lower rod is broken off from the upper claw. It may be the HAMMER STRUT.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... loded5.jpg

Numrich has none.

Source ?

FOUND ONE on eBay - $12.95 Shipped !

(Hopefully there are no other issues.)