Burr on right side of receiver barrel block

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
dgreene

Burr on right side of receiver barrel block

Post by dgreene »

My P-64 was delivered the other day had a nice clean then shot it a bit, accurate little gun. Just shooting some cheap wolf polyformance, I figured on shooting factory crap before I start sticking my cut down 9mm brass reloads in it, thought I might be able to send it back to classic if there was any real issue.

So on the right side of the barrel "block" there is a burr right where the ejector cut is, seems like the ejector is contacting it or something. No witness mark on the slide or extractor though, and I see no possible way the extractor could be riding up that far. I was just going to radius it off with some paper but then I was thinking that it might be common, and there might be a reason for it I'm unaware of that this group could advise me about. If I can figure it out I will post a pic. Did not seem to effect function at all, she ran well. In the meantime I'm going to rid it of that burr, the burr is on the outside, not the inside, and can be felt with a fingernail so it's gotta go.

I'm impressed with this pistol though, it's very accurate once you figure out they sighted it in at 50 yards or so, shoots very high close in. We adjust.

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Burr on right side of receiver barrel block

Post by robhic »

I know of what you speak. My P-64s have that same raggedy area as yours. So far, it's not caused me any problems (nor any mental distress, surprisingly :mrgreen: ) with the operation of the gun. Don't explain why or how it got there but I have 4 pistols and they all have it. I wouldn't be concerned....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I'm thinking that it may have been caused by the slide when it doesn't go back on right during reassembly and it slams into the barrel.

We have probably all been there.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
dgreene

Post by dgreene »

Yeah that's what I thought at first too, but during my investigation (which to be clear basically involved me removing the recoil spring and reinstalling the slide, moving it around, and looking at it under a bright light and magnifying loupe) I figured out that it's physically impossible for the slide to actually touch it. Not only is it present only where the extractor cut is which puts it maybe 1/32" forward of where the slide must stop, but I don't see any way the extractor can reach it either. It's a weird one.

Thanks though, I'm glad this isn't something particular to just this gun. Radom is a decent manufacturer but who knows maybe they just didn't give a crap about that burr. Maybe it was vodka time on friday. Maybe every day that year was vodka time who knows. It does work. I'm taking the thing off (the burr) and touch it with some cold blue.

Thanks guys!
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I've got one of those, too. Been meaning to take it to the smith to have it buffed out.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

I must've been one of the lucky ones. Mine is what one might say, perfect inside and out. It's the one with 1976 stamped on the slide.