Another Spring Question

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another Spring Question

Post by robhic »

First post and am I glad I found this forum! :hi: I've read the trigger pull is horrid on this little pistol. I've been watching YouTube videos while awaiting the arrival of my 2 P-64's next week. I plan to try the pistols out as they are with NO change to see just how horrid this heavy pull is. If it is truly bad, I figured I'd use a Wolff spring kit (not TOO LIGHT!) to drop it a bit. I'd also like to keep a couple recoil and magazine springs on hand as spares. But I looked at the Wolff site and they have a recoil spring and a magazine spring listed ONLY! Shouldn't there be a hammer spring too? What am I missing? I don't want a hair-trigger! :shock: But I'd like to put something in a bit lighter if I feel it would help. But they don't seem to show one. Magazine spring(s) are good for spares as are recoil springs but what gives as far as the hammer spring?

Thanks for any help!

- Robert
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
BRJIII

Re: Another Spring Question

Post by BRJIII »

They have the hammer springs in the following weights: 17, 18, 19 or 20 LB. for $4.29 ea. or you can get a 3 pack of one ea. of the following 18, 19 and 20 LB. for $9.00 I just bought some recoil and hammer springs from them. I didn't see any magazine springs. Try this shortcut: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/cID1 then scroll down on the left side and click on POLISH and it'll take you right to the P-64 springs.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Robert.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

BRJIII wrote:They have the hammer springs in the following weights: 17, 18, 19 or 20 LB. for $4.29 ea. or you can get a 3 pack of one ea. of the following 18, 19 and 20 LB. for $9.00 I just bought some recoil and hammer springs from them. I didn't see any magazine springs. Try this shortcut: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/cID1 then scroll down on the left side and click on POLISH and it'll take you right to the P-64 springs.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! :D I followed that link and it got me right where I needed to be. They sure don't make it simple do they? Ordered a set of 17 pound hammer springs and 2 recoil (OEM weight) for spares. Thanks for that so now I'll know.

Another thing happened. This NOT so easy! The 2 P-64's arrived today and so I took them apart to clean and lube plus check out. Look good and can't wait to try them out. BUT ..... one of the grips was a little sticky so I pried it off with a screwdriver. No big deal huh? Pushed it in a bit too far and must have gotten it under the disconnector bar (?). Still no big deal, eh? Not so fast! The disconnector popped out and I had to figure how it went back on. :( No problem, I'd just look at the other pistol to see how it fit. Well, luck was NOT my friend today and I tried to get the bar under a spring behind the trigger. Somehow (gremlins?) it just would NOT fit back. I looked and looked and had my Maglite in ma mouth but it just would not stay. Looks like the long end of the spring broke off! HUH?! How did that happen? So I got 2 P-64's - One clean and lubed and ready to go and another that needs a friggin' new spring! Already! Numrich doesn't even show it and I found another supplier but, of course, he's out. So I have a request to be emailed when he gets some in stock so I have a pistol - BRAND NEW! - that I have to wait who knows how long to fix! Feeling sorry for me yet? :D
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Welcome to the forum Robert.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks! So far I've solved one problem (that shouldn't have been a problem!!!) and got my 2 P-64's earlier than expected but had problems with breaking a spring on one. :evil: Oh well, off to try one out next week.
- Robert

BRJIII

Post by BRJIII »

Click here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php scroll down and you should find the slide spring you need for $6.00 shipped. He also has trigger springs if you need one. Good luck with your fix.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Did you try gunbroker for the spring?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

BRJIII wrote:Click here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php scroll down and you should find the slide spring you need for $6.00 shipped. He also has trigger springs if you need one. Good luck with your fix.
I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!!! Two problems in one day and BOTH solved!!! This is EPIC! I just cannot thank you guys enough. I have my name on 2 waiting lists to see if and when trigger springs become (or even are available) and you've come through right here. Fortune musta been smiling on me when I signed up for this forum! Just a quick question: The fact that Norm has the trigger spring available se r4eadily, does that mean it is a known problem with the guns? I mean, like why just that spring? Or does he have other stuff, too?

Well, here is a little payback. A friend who is a professional gunsmith in Wisconsin gave me this name for old military gun parts and lots of other stuff http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/ Sarco is a company he uses and recommended I try. They had Radom P-64 listed but the one in the picture looked different from mine. Like it had a grip safety and a bit longer barrel? Is that possible? Oh well, If you need parts for some obscure weapons (Japanese Nambu pistol!) they got 'em.

Thanks again for all the help you guys provided in just 2 short days! I am grateful and humbled by the experienlce!!! :hi:
- Robert

gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

You should've gotten the Wolff package hammer springs so you can choose which one is right for you/pistol. I have the 18# spring and DA pull is good enough for me to have the pistol on condition one. There's been quite a few report online on the 17# causing the mag to drop while shooting.
Check this thread, where a member had tested the springs SA pull weight.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5672

You also might want to go over the various threads on the "how to" in taking the pistol apart safely and trouble free, before making the attempt. One spring or pin flying to outer space, is enough to bang your head on a wall. I had a miserable time, when upon re-assembly, the extractor flew to kingdom come, never to be seen again. I had to wait over two weeks after ordering the part at gunbrokers from a seller from Poland.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gemini1 wrote:You should've gotten the Wolff package hammer springs so you can choose which one is right for you/pistol. I have the 18# spring and DA pull is good enough for me to have the pistol on condition one. There's been quite a few report online on the 17# causing the mag to drop while shooting.
Check this thread, where a member had tested the springs SA pull weight.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5672

You also might want to go over the various threads on the "how to" in taking the pistol apart safely and trouble free, before making the attempt. One spring or pin flying to outer space, is enough to bang your head on a wall. I had a miserable time, when upon re-assembly, the extractor flew to kingdom come, never to be seen again. I had to wait over two weeks after ordering the part at gunbrokers from a seller from Poland.
I thought about the mixed weight package but decided that as hard as the DA pull was (I actually could NOT pull the trigger!!!) that going the lowest was what I wanted at first. How did they expect those poor Polish soldiers to fire that gun? I bet that 24# trigger was responsible for a LOT of deaths! Anyway, I can always order more springs if the 17# is too light. But i have a Bersa 380 pistol setup very similar to this one (lthough not as well finished) with a higher DA pull and then a light SA pull so I'm kinda used to it. We'll see.

And that test thread was interesting. Somebody took a lot of time there!
- Robert