P64 trigger

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
2old2run

Re: P64 trigger

Post by 2old2run »

I'll measure the wire and see what the various springs are. If it turns into a career change, I think I'll just abandon the pistol for carry as I feel the SA trigger is unsafe. I have several other options and, from the beginning, the safety functioning opposite a 1911 had a few points against using it for carry anyhow. The P-64, for a number of reasons has a lot of appeal, but for a tool that is to be used in life and death situations, I'm becoming less enthused. I might just put it, and about 1000 rounds of ammo, up for sale. Will spend just a little bit more time playing with springs first.

Thanks for the guidance.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

To each his own. I, personally, have no problem with the 18# trigger pull. I bought a pistol for each of my 2 grandsons (20 & 13) and drilled them MERCILESSLY on safety! The 18# DA pull is pretty stiff in regular use, IMO. Once the first, DA round is fired I pay strict attention (can't afford not to ...) to follow-up, SA shots. The boys better NOT let me see them not doing same. We've had fun and always been attentive. They know better than to not follow my guidance. Plus, we always shoot indoors so I can watch 'em. Eighteen lbs. of pull is pretty stiff. If ever in a defensive situation I don't think follow-up shots will be a problem, IMO ....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

robhic,

I finally got around to disassembling the pistol, removing the replacement spring, installing the original and testing it. The original spring required even less pressure in SA.

I measured the springs and this is what I have:
Original spring is 1.1mm. thick wire and the Wolff replacement 18# spring is 1.0mm. thick wire and both the original spring and the replacement spring have the same number of coils while the original is a bit shorter.

A friend who reloads and is much more into the technical aspect of ballistics than I sent me this paper from Hornady and I found pages 38-39 very interesting as it demonstrates that with their Critical Defense ammo there is practically no difference between a Ruger LCP .380 and a P-64, other than the .380 achieves greater penetration, and the Ruger has the same capacity and weighs about half as much: P-64 is 24.22oz. and the Ruger is 11.85oz.

http://www.hornadyle.com/assets/site/fi ... -Guide.pdf

The P-64 was a gun show purchase and looked to be very slightly used if at all, but I don't know the history or if someone did some work on the trigger or sear or changed out a spring or what.. All I did to it was to debur the safety detente and smooth it out a little by working it back and forth a few hundred times. I think the issue, at its most basic, is a question of the geometry of the sear.

I believe I'm just going to keep this in my office desk and carry the LCP. The P-64 DOES have an amount of panache and the crew around here is great so I'm definitely going to keep it and shoot it from time to time.

Thanks for all the adult guidance and Merry Christmas to all!

2old2run