Round Jams Going Into Chamber

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
diearlyn

Round Jams Going Into Chamber

Post by diearlyn »

So I am pretty new to the P64 game. Just bought one and I love it. The only problem is that after a couple rounds a round seems to get caught and instead of smoothy entering into the chamber the round gets stuck half way jamming the slide. I have been using "Army Standard 9mm Makarov 94gr FMJ Ammo." The gun has been cleaned and nothing else seems to be amiss. Any suggestions, or advice would be wonderful!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Round Jams Going Into Chamber

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Have you disassembled that mags for cleaning?

Dry some different ammo if you can.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
diearlyn

Post by diearlyn »

I haven't disassembled the mag for cleaning. How would that be done? And what ammo would be recommended? Thanks!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Do you have more than one mag?

Remove the mag floor plate.

You will see a notch on the bottom of the mag on one of the sides.

There is part of the spring resting in the floor plate to keep it from sliding off.

Insert a nail or a punch thru the side of the mag and depress the spring upwards toward the follower to get that nub at the end of the spring to go up into the slot in the mag.

While holding the spring compressed you can slide the mag base plate off of the mag.

Pay attention to the spring orientation when you remove it so you put it in the correct way.

Reassemble in reverse order.

As far as ammo try any other 9x18 makarov ammo you can find to test it .

Let us know how you make out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

diearlyn also check the mag feed lips, see if they have been bent in any way. And does it happen with ALL the mags you have or just one? It sounds as if the round is being held too low so when it tries to enter the ramp it hits and bounces upward instead of sliding up the ramp and then the nose of the round gets caught against the top of the chamber mouth. Possibly try bending (VERY gently) the feed lips up / out just a little bit and see if it holds the round a bit more nose up. I have a CZ-82 that would jam with one mag and that was the problem. But remember to do it slowly and carefully and if you can take pictures before and after so you have reference about how to bend it BACK if that was not the problem.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
jimdgreat1

Post by jimdgreat1 »

I'm having the same problem. From pictures on here it seems I have a newer style mag and an older pistol. The rounds are hanging up just before the rim clears the feed lips. I've shortened the lips some. Hoping to get a length to shorten them to.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

If cleaning and other suggestions (different ammo, mags) don't yield a result, weak springs could be something to think about. http://www.gunsprings.com/ is Wolff's website and possibly a new recoil spring (18 lb) and or magazine spring(s) could also help. An old gun may be showing its age in spring problems.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke