Slide flying off during shooting, magazine dropping

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
96sexton

Slide flying off during shooting, magazine dropping

Post by 96sexton »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I am glad I found you all.

I got my first P64 recently and picked one up for my brother as well and have been experiencing a few issues. I was surprised as I had been told these things were built like tanks.

Firstly my safety seems to be off. When it is loaded, if I decock it slowly the firing pin will be blocked but the hammer stays cocked. If I move the safety a little but the hammer will usually drop. Any ideas?

I brought it out to the range and put 100 rounds through it no problem

Then the other day I switched to a #18 trigger spring and #22 recoil spring on it, and a Hogue grip.

I excitedly took it out to the range and immediately started having problems, firstly I had two or three light strikes usually on the first round. Secondly the magazine kept dropping out and the magazine often wouldn't lock back on the last round. Does anyone know what is causing this?

I got through about 50 rounds and all of the sudden the slide flew off after shooting a round, I can now take it off and put it back on without maneuvering the trigger guard. What should I do? I am losing faith in this little thing

Thanks guys!

Kevin
wlockridge

Re: Slide flying off during shooting, magazine dropping

Post by wlockridge »

Your slide stop is broken. You should stop using it immediately before someone gets hurt ..... badly, The safety is malfunctioning either due to wear or dirt or a combination of the two. Again, stop using it before you drop the hammer on a live round in which case refer to the above outcome. As far as the light strikes and mag dropping, that normally only happens with the 17 lb. hammer spring but at this point that's the least of your worries. If you can, take it back where you got it a see if they’ll exchange it. It sounds like someone might have bought a parts gun then turned around and sold it as a serviceable weapon. Who knows anymore. Good luck.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
96sexton

Post by 96sexton »

Thanks for the quick reply, I got in contact with the seller to see if there is anything they can do

If not, is this something I can fix on my own or did I just buy an expensive paper weight?

Best,
Kevin
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

96sexton wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, I got in contact with the seller to see if there is anything they can do

If not, is this something I can fix on my own or did I just buy an expensive paper weight?

Best,
Kevin
Kevin,
Unless you're a gunsmith, considering that all your problems are safety issues, if I was going to have it fixed I would have a licensed gunsmith do the work. It won't be cheap but neither is a hospital bill or worse yet, a funeral. If it were me, and the seller won't help, I would just keep the gun for parts and buy another from a more reputable seller. Classic firearms usually has them from between $225.00 and $240.00. Apparently the weapon you have has been shot ....... a lot because it takes a lot to wear these things out. I've got over a thousand rounds through mine and the wear is barely noticeable. I'd still be willing to bet that someone bought some of these on the cheap as parts guns and then, after finding some that worked .... sort of, sold them as working firearms. These guns are great, reliable, and well made little pistols. Yours having as many issues as it does points to something shady to me or possibly an honest mistake. Either way the seller should make this right.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Kevin.

Check the front end of the trigger guard for damage, new guards can be found on Gunbroker if you want to replace it.

If it looks like the bore is shot out on it you may want to move on to another one if the seller won't take it back or fix it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
craig

Post by craig »

Kevin, did you buy it from a private party or one of the military surplus stores?
There is no free lunch
96sexton

Post by 96sexton »

Hey all,

I got it from Classic and so far they have been incredibly helpful and it it looks as if the will be facilitating a replacement through CAI.

Ill keep you all updated

Kevin
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
craig

Post by craig »

Classic is very good at resolving problems, in my experience.
There is no free lunch
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Glad that they are working with you on your P64. You will find out how great the little pistol really is!
Borg Warner

Post by Borg Warner »

96sexton wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, I got in contact with the seller to see if there is anything they can do

Best,
Kevin
Assuming that what you've already done to this gun was done on your own, you may have caused or contributed to the problems that you're experiencing and maybe you shouoldn't take the chance of doing any more damage if that is indeed the case.

I took mine to a gunsmith to put in the springs and then I watched what he did and now I have a better idea of how the gun works. Someone who works on guns for a living every day is almost always going to be better at it than someone who only does it once in a while.

Too many people are reluctant to take their guns to a gunsmith and fancy themselves to be a highly competant do-it-yourself-er whether they are or they aren't. And because of this and because of onerous regulations on small business's with additional restrictions of gunsmiths, gunsmiths are slowly going out of business and we aren't helping the situation either if we don't support them.

That said, it's as important to find a competent gunsmith just as it is to find a competent auto mechanic. Most Auto mechanics are not dishonest, but many of them are incompetent and they take too long and spend too much to fix a simple problem. With gunsmiths I can usually tell by talking with someone if they are BS'ing me or if they know what they're doing just by asking questions like how long will it take to do a certain job and what the price will be and then maybe asking 3 different peop0le the same question.

But it requires good character judgment to tell if someone is being either up-front and straightforward or evasive and tending towards flakeyness.
96sexton

Post by 96sexton »

Hello all,

I just wanted to update everyone. Century Arms sent me a new gun and hopefully I will get it out to the range tomorrow. One thing that is different on this one is the import stamp is rougher then the rest of the slide, has anyone seen this before? Is it something to get worked up over or am I being too nitpicky?

Best,
Kevin
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Post a pic.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Maybe, let's see pics.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary