Unable to put slide back on

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
n4x5

Post by n4x5 »

I recently got a P-64 from AIM. Really nice, 1977, almost perfect condition. I disassembled the entire gun, cleaned all parts, & reassembled. I'm using the original recoil spring, 19# Wolff hammer spring, & replacement trigger spring from Norm. I haven't fired it yet, but after reassembling, everything seems to work fine, except that I'm having an extremely hard time putting the slide back on. Previously, before disassembling, I was able to get the slide off & on again once but it was VERY hard. (From the footage I've seen online, it looks like a cinch when most people do it.) Now I can't get it back on. I've gone through these message boards looking for any information that might help but have been unable to pinpoint the problem. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the recoil spring because I can't get the slide back on even with the recoil spring removed.

-The trigger guard is down.
-The hammer is back. (SA mode)
-There is no magazine in the gun.
-The trigger pin is all the way in. It is not obstructing the slide.
-The slide stop lever is not the culprit. It is not blocking the slide by being too far out.

The slide seems to go far enough back & then down to the frame (with some difficulty), but it won't go forward. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks.
gemini1

Re: Unable to put slide back on

Post by gemini1 »

Are you sure the slide is properly aligned, all the way down under the frame's rail? Are you able to pull it back up and out to remove the slide?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I have always found its a lot easier to have the recoil spring on the gun to put the slide back on ,, just make sure the small end of the spring goes over the barrel first

NORM
Sent from norms computer norm doesn't have a smart phone (LMAO)
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
n4x5

Post by n4x5 »

I think I'm aligning it properly. I can look from the back & see the rails in the frame match up with the corresponding slots in the slide. Yes, once I get it down to the frame, I can pull it off again, although it takes a fair amount of effort.

I'll spend some time trying again with the recoil spring on.

I'll update if I'm able to get it back together.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

NORM is right. You need to be sure that the recoil spring is properly oriented, small end goes on first, otherwise it won't go back together. I've made the mistake myself more than once, embarrassingly enough. :) I've found that on the Wolf springs it helps to grind the end flat, just a touch, not a lot. Just a thought.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
n4x5

Post by n4x5 »

I've been trying again with the recoil spring on. I definitely have the recoil spring installed correctly - larger end at the muzzle. To be clear, it is the hammer spring that is Wolff; the recoil is stock (at least I assume it is, since it's the one that came with the gun) & is already flat on the larger end.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Not sure if this would help, but... I just got in the mail the hammer and recoil springs I ordered from Wolff. I was also having a hard time putting back the new recoil spring, not a problem if I use the old one but the new one just wont let the slide go right in.
So I grinded both ends flat, just like the original one, about half the diameter of the spring. And when I tried it on again, it went right through like butter. You do need to pull the slide all the way back then push it down the frame and gently let it go.
n4x5

Post by n4x5 »

I figured it out. The plunger retaining pin was protruding just a fraction of a millimeter out past flush, so naturally it interfered with the operation of the slide. I tapped it in & the slide goes on easily & smoothly now. It had nothing to do with the recoil spring, but I can see how people thought it did. Pretty dumb error on my part. Hopefully at least my experience will help someone in the future. Thanks to all of you who tried to help.
finloq

Post by finloq »

I had a hell of a time the first time as well. My slide stop lever was sticking out a tiny bit. Once I realized the issue, I popped it in with my thumb and bingo. I also admit to placing the recoil spring on backwards a few times as well.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes the slide stop has hung me up also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
w1cny

Post by w1cny »

I'm still stuck.
Where are the slide stop and the plunger retaining ring?
Bob
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

to get the 22 lb. recoil spring on , most the time you have to grid  the end flat , to get the slide on 
  arthritis  is why I use the 20 lb. spring 

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Something that you need to note when putting these springs on; The Wolff replacement springs frequently don't match the factory originals. The originals are flattened at the ends, where the replacements are not. Some people don't have a problem with this. But for a lot of us it will cause the Slide to bind with the Frame during dis/re-assembly. It may not have anything to do with arthritis, strength, etc. Refer to this thread to match the ends:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&#p39176
Do NOT try to put the slide on if it does not seem like it wants to!! It will be more difficult to remove.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Weasel
 is right about that

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton