Wolf Springs and Reliability - Testing

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Sergei

Wolf Springs and Reliability - Testing

Post by Sergei »

A friend of mine some time ago gave me a Wolf 17lb hammer spring for my P64. Given the stock DA on the gun I found this simple mod quite useful. However after having light strikes on some military surplus rounds I've decided to get my hands on some more Wolf Springs and get down to testing.

Following the advice given by some members of this forum I've decided on a 22lb recoil spring and a 18lb hammer spring which is pretty much a standards upgrade across the board from what I've seen here. Waited quite a bit for those "non essential gun parts" to clear customs but they finally arrived so I got my hands on different types of rounds and headed out to the range.

Mine is a 1974 manufacture triangle hammer. It saw very limited use in the Police and came with a pretty much pristine barrel. Just some ware marks left by the leather holsters.

Test 1:
Preparation: main spring Wolf 22lb, hammer spring Wolf 18lb
Round count: 5 shots standing
Target: ~4" circle target at 10 meters
Sequence: First shot always DA rest SA. Shots are numbered.
Ammo: (on the above pic left to right: S&B mil issue, East German - 04, Polish mil issue - 21, Hungarian mil issue - 21, S&B commercial, Barnaul)

Results in sequence as were shot:
Barnaul: Overall good ammo. Missed the DA and one of the SA. Can easily blame it on my error. Functioned 100% reliably. Fired to Misfired 5 to 0.
S&B commercial: For about two years I've seen serious issues with Selier & Bellot commercial ammo, in various calibres. Gigantic spread that was later reconfirmed on a different target to take out shooter error. Sadly results were similar. Fired 5 out of 5 though.
21 Hun mil: Very good ammo. Functions reliably 100% and did manage to score a good group.
21 Pol mil: Very good ammo. Group opened up a bit, but I'd say that it was shooter error.
04 East Ger: Consistent, reliable. Not a bad word can be said. Interesting feature, their primers are smaller than SP primers.
S&B mil: Good to see that at least the military line of S&B is up to par with good quality standards. Very good ammo, tight group slightly opened by one flyer, I'd call it my error. Fired 5 out of 5.

Conclusion:
Still waiting for an opportunity to conduct Test 2. It will be the same test but will have the 18lb Wolf hammer spring swapped for the Wolf 17lb hammer spring. Will be looking for reliability issues as I've seen previously. As for the 22lb main spring. It does make the gun a bit more pleasant to shoot but not considerably. Still it will generally have a life prolonging effect on the firearm so that is an argument for having the main spring swapped.
gemini1

Re: Wolf Springs and Reliability - Testing

Post by gemini1 »

Did you have any issues with mag dropping on last round, and slide failing to hold open with the 17 or 18 lbs spring?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

gemini1 wrote:Did you have any issues with mag dropping on last round, and slide failing to hold open with the 17 or 18 lbs spring?

I had that problem but it didn't happen after I went back to the stock recoil spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Which hammer and recoil springs were you using Curly? I read that those who used the 22lbs recoil springs with 18 lbs hammer springs, were the ones having issues?
Sergei

Post by Sergei »

As for the mag falling out, nothing like that happened in either configuration. The slide 4/5 times does not lock to the rear but that is more likely caused by the reduced tension on the mag spring following a 7rd conversion. Does not bother me at all.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have the 22lb for sure recoil spring with the Wolff packaging but not sure what hammer spring as the previous owner didn't remember and didn't include the stock hammer spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary