DA Trigger Pull Question [Reprise]

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
dmarbell

DA Trigger Pull Question [Reprise]

Post by dmarbell »

Be gentle, as I am a P-64 newbie. And I know this has been hashed and rehashed.

My DA trigger pull is hard, but seems to have a definite hard stop point just before it breaks. So, beyond the obvious spring replacement, I have these questions. (I have yet to shoot the gun, so I'm not ready to replace springs until I deem it absolutely necessary.)

It is recommended on here to fire the pistol a few hundred rounds to break it in. But does firing it break in the trigger and hammer action any more than dry firing? Will repeated dry firing wear in the action some, and make it smoother, if not less hard?

Next, I am posting two pics below. The arrows point to a contact point on the trigger bar, where the trigger bar contacts the disconnector. My trigger bar at this point is rough. At first, I thought the contact with the disconnector might be causing the hard stop feeling. But, upon further examination, it looks like the disconnector rides on the trigger bar without any real pressure. Is that right? I was going to use a drimmel and polish the trigger guard, but that looks like a waste of time.

Polish the Polish Trigger Guard! Sometimes puns are just too easy!

Danny
Attachments
20140830_144728.jpeg
20140830_144747.jpeg
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: DA Trigger Pull Question [Reprise]

Post by Weasel640 »

Dan,

In theory you are correct about breaking it in. With use the springs will loosen up. However in the process you could break something. Never dry fire, always use snap caps to protect the firing pin from damage. Also keep in mind that these springs are heat treated and made to hold their elasticity. It would take a very long time firing the P-64 to get the hammer spring to loosen to a point where it is noticeable. These were made to be stiffer and harder hitting due to the stiffer primer sub-machine gun ammo they were made to use.

I recommend that after you fire you P-64 you still don't care for the double action, just get the variety pack and see which hammer spring works best for you. I use the 18lbder and have never had a problem with it.

In regards to the trigger bar vs the disconnector; The only really come into play during when you safety your P-64, and when it is out of battery. So the is not really an reason to polish the two. Also in doing so you could inadvertently ruin the disconnector.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

All the friction comes from the hammer pivoting about its pin. This is because of the really high pressure exerted by the hammer spring. Weakening this spring not only makes the spring easier to compress (which lightens the pull, which is caused by a lower rotational torque of the hammer spring), it greatly reduces the friction from the spring jamming the hammer into the pin.

If you were to chamfer and polish the inside of the hammer and the outside of the hammer pin, it would probably make the biggest difference.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I have polished my hammer strut, the inside of my hammer spring and the hammer between the safety notch and the single-action notch. Don't touch the single-action notch, single-action trigger pull is light enough already.

Posted with SwiftKey
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

Like was stated, don't dry fire. Not only can the firing pin be damaged, but the safety lever can also break. The safety lever can be hard to find.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Snap caps are cheap insurance I use them for all my calibers.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
dmarbell

Post by dmarbell »

Thanks for all the advice. I have 9mm snap caps, most likely 9 para. Are they ok in the P-64? I haven't used them, but tried one out in the chamber, and it went right in.

Do you use a drimmel for polishing?

Danny
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I doubt that the slide will fully close on a 9mm snap cap. 9mm Makarov is 9x18 while 9mm Parabellum is 9x19. Maybe close enough for government work, though. ;-)
Better to hand polish unless you are experienced with the Dremel, IMO. Easy to take it off. Hard to put it back.

Posted with SwiftKey
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Danny,
I replaced my hammer spring with the 18# after first trying the 17#, I found that with the 17# I was getting some light strikes. What made all the difference in the world on my P 64 on both the trigger pull and the safety stiffness was Lucas Assembly Lube. I put a drop on all the pivot points on the hammer and the safety and even on the slide grooves. After a couple hundred rounds or so my safety was MUCH easier to operate the the DA trigger pull was very much acceptable. Now it's not a 3# to 5# pull and it never will be but from twenty feet I can start in DA mode and keep all 7 round inside a 3" circle. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try before you cut loose with the dremmel.

So far, so good. Now here comes the part I'll get hell for. If 9x18 snap caps are not available where you live you can get by with 9x17 aka .380 calibre. The p 64 will chamber, fire, and eject a .380 round however I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. It's just useful information to keep in the back of your mind in case of emergency like, someone is breaking into your home and you just shot your last 9x18 today or maybe the only ammo you can get to is your wife's .380. My theory is better a gun loaded with ANYTHING than a gun loaded with nothing. Having said that, I would NEVER, NEVER fire a 9x19 Para in a P 64. My son-in-law and I were cleaning our weapons one day, I don't recall what type of ammo he had but I believe they were reloads, so, on a lark, I dropped one into my P 64. To my amazement it went right to battery and was ready to fire. Something that theoretically shouldn't happen. I wasn't crazy enough to fire it as the 9mm para is loaded to much higher pressures, much higher than the P 64 is designed to withstand. The worst that could happen is that it would blow up in your face and injure of kill you, or someone standing next to you and the best case would be a damaged and now inoperable wall hanger. Stick with the right ammo.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.