Looking for advice and input

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Sergei

Looking for advice and input

Post by Sergei »

Good day all.

I am looking for advice or more so some input from people using the extra power recoil springs from Wolf.

For what my experience is worth, here we normally use the P64 with surplus FMJ (Polish or Soviet) and sometimes with the 95gr S&B FMJ. As I now got my own gun I will naturally be looking into giving it a bit more punch. Hornady XTP (factory or reloads) being an obvious choice. As these will pack more pressure than surplus loads a swap of the recoil spring would be understandable.
Question one: 20 or 22 lb? Hand cycling is not an issue for me in either case. Nor is felt recoil. What I am more interested is how much do these actually help with reducing the strain the gun is subject to while using ammo with a bit more kick.
Question two: With the addition of the extra power recoil spring did you experience any ejection and cycling issues while shooting surplus/commercial/cast ammo?

Any and all comments appreciated.
Stay safe,
Serg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Looking for advice and input

Post by Curly1 »

With the stronger springs there can be the issue of the mag disengaging after the last round and your slide won't hold open.

Make sure the replacement recoil spring is ground flat on the end that goes on first like the original or you will have a hard time getting the slide back on.

I don't have any problems with feeding and ejecting with the 22lb spring using Silver Bear sold over here.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Curly I think the mag falling was from the lower rated hammer spring having less tension on the mag release. I also run the 22 recoil.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Agreed I have the lighter hammer spring installed.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Sergei also welcome to the forum!!
LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

So the surplus has less punch? I was surprised to read that. I have a CZ52 in 7.62x25 and found the military surplus had a lot more punch than the new factory loads like S&B. I saw a video where the old milsurp 7.62x25 pierced Level 3 body amour but the modern factory loads could not.
Sergei

Post by Sergei »

Thank you everyone for your input.
LantanaTX wrote:So the surplus has less punch? I was surprised to read that. I have a CZ52 in 7.62x25 and found the military surplus had a lot more punch than the new factory loads like S&B. I saw a video where the old milsurp 7.62x25 pierced Level 3 body amour but the modern factory loads could not.
It was not a case of comparing surplus to commercial FMJ in which case definitely surplus is superior in force, I do have a TT-33 and I know what 1950's milsurp for the PPSh41 can do in these. I meant the comparison of commercial defence ammo (+P and such) to surplus.