Racking the slide

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
tlandon

Racking the slide

Post by tlandon »

After disassembly, cleaning and oiling. The slide is extremely hard to pull all the way back. I don't remember having this problem on past P64's, but its been a while. Gun functions fine, the slide is just way to hard too to pull when chambering a round. Is the recoil spring too stiff? Thanks.
garybok

Re: Racking the slide

Post by garybok »

Can't say for sure, but I know mine takes a good bit of effort to rack the slide too -- more than on my other semi-autos. The guy at the range even remarked on it one time when he checked it in.

Two thoughts do come to mind, though: First, I gather this is a pistol you just received? If so, is there a chance somebody put in a heavier recoil spring before you acquired it? A lot of people seem to do this to help cut down on the felt recoil, and it's only logical that doing so would make it even harder to operate the slide (which is why I left mine alone).

Second, you might double check that you didn't get the recoil spring on backwards when you reassembled it. (The slightly smaller end of the spring goes on first; it's a tight fit so the natural reaction is to turn it around and put the looser end on first.) The only reason I mention it is that it happened to me until I reread the manual more carefully. I don't recall encountering any problems when I did it wrong, but you never know. Worth double-checking anyway.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable members here can be of more help?

Good luck!
tlandon

Post by tlandon »

The spring is on correctly. Just bought the gun from Aim so I wouldn't think it has been changed. Just have to live with it or buy a lighter recoil spring. Thanks for the reply.
And as always "Have Nice Day"
garybok

Post by garybok »

One more thing occurred to me: You might check the pivot pin for the trigger. The pin is round on one end (the end on the right side above the trigger) but has a u-shaped head on the other end (it's inserted from the left side). The other day I must have accidently pushed the pin out to the left a little when wiping down the frame. The u-shaped head then got turned so it didn't recess back into the frame properly. When the bottom edge of the slide scraped across the protruding pin it made things even stiffer than usual.

Also, have you tried removing the recoil spring altogether and reassembling it without the recoil spring? When you do, the slide should glide forward and backward on the frame very smoothly. You'll get some resistance from the hammer when you first pull it back, and always a little resistance when the safety slides across the top of the cocked hammer, but it shouldn't be too much. But everything else should be very smooth. If it's not, you can search for where it's binding. (That's how I discovered the trigger pin scraping.) But if it operates smoothly, then you've determined that the resistance is due solely to the recoil spring.

Good luck!
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

I have the 22# recoil spring in mine and it's a bear to rack. I have to put the safety on so I can get some extra grip to rack it. Probably not a bad idea anyway so you're not left with a cocked weapon but yes, especially if it has the heavier spring it's going to be stiff.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
tlandon

Post by tlandon »

First time I took it apart and put it back together I could not get the slide to fully seat on the frame. After numerous attempts, finally realized the trigger pin was not all the way pushed in.
After working the slide and a little luba duba it is much better. I haven't even shot it yet, so I am sure it will improve.
I have done some things to it that look pretty kool. I will post pictures when finished. thanks for the replies.