Broken safety/decocker

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Broken safety/decocker

Post by Weasel640 »

garybok wrote:Well, phooey. Looks like I spoke too soon. I picked it up from the gunsmith today and all seemed fine at first. Took it to the range and ran a box of ammo through it. I noticed a couple of times the trigger did not seem to reset properly after firing. When you pulled the trigger it was completely inactive, as if the safety was on (but it wasn't). But when you tried it a second time it would engage and fire. Not good: a gun that may or may not fire when you pull the trigger. Not good at all. Butt I thought maybe just some grit or something was getting between the rebuilt safety and the disconnect bar -- give a good cleaning, I thought. But when I manipulated the new safety a couple more times, suddenly I couldn't get it off safety at all. It's now completely inoperable, with the safety lever firmly stuck on "safe." I'm beginning to despair.
Don't despair. The newly modified safety may need to be fitted better.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Take it back the the GS and have him check it out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

Did you get it fixed? Did you try taking the slide off the frame?
dwombat

Post by dwombat »

garybok wrote:Hello,

New member here. I've had my P64 for about two months and am quite pleased with it, but...

Today the safety/decocker lever broke. I've found several threads on this forum in which people were searching for this part, but not within the past few months. It appears this part is nearly impossible to find. I've emailed several sellers on Gunbroker who offer other P64 parts, but so far no luck. I'd even be willing to buy a lot full of old used parts if there was a safety/decocker in it, but none of the lots offered on Gunbroker include this part.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I just left you a PM.I have a source for new safety.It will be $50 shipped in the US.The other one I got ,I am going to find a machine shop to make about hundred of them,I know a guy in Chicago who will do it ,now that I think about it.
garybok

Post by garybok »

Thanks, dwombat. I've PM'd you back. I'm definitely interested.
LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

Lots of original parts just showed up on Gun Broker, Looks like NOS parts from Poland

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... ers=467151
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

LantanaTX wrote:Lots of original parts just showed up on Gun Broker, Looks like NOS parts from Poland

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... ers=467151
We've known about this seller for a while. He's good to get parts from. However he does not have safeties.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
garybok

Post by garybok »

Thanks for the heads up. I was just getting ready to come back here and post that my problems are solved. As a couple of other threads on the forum have announced, there's now a source for the safety/decocker on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =424660906. He had 32 of them originally. He's down to 24 now. I got one and it arrived in the mail today -- it looks to be virtually unused. The guy selling them, Tri-County Firearms, discussed how he came to find them here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5484

As to Laukart, I agree, he's very good to deal with. When I ordered the new safety from Tri-County, I decided I might as well order the detent pin and spring from Laukart while I was at it. They arrived Friday. So tonight I'm rebuilding the entire safety mechanism with all "new" parts. I'm one happy tinkerer!

Plus, while I'm doing all this, I went ahead and ordered a three-pack of hamemr springs from Wolff, just to see if I can ease up the DA a little without causing problems. Experimenting with those should keep me occupied for a while.

Thanks again for all the help, everybody!
STARDUST1940

Post by STARDUST1940 »

Check GUNBROKER part #34 safety catch . $34.00 ea 12/29 14.
ats101

Post by ats101 »

Hi guys!
New member here. I bought one about a month ago. The second day I was messing around with it and the decocker broke. Do you know where I could get a new one. From reading on here, it seems pretty impossible. I still havent shot it yet so I am anxious to do so. Any help would be appreciated inculding a new one for $50. Thanks!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Keep an eye on gunbroker a guy just sold out of about 30 of them over the past few months.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

ats101 wrote:Hi guys!
New member here. I bought one about a month ago. The second day I was messing around with it and the decocker broke. Do you know where I could get a new one. From reading on here, it seems pretty impossible. I still havent shot it yet so I am anxious to do so. Any help would be appreciated inculding a new one for $50. Thanks!
Where did you get it? Have you checked with the vender? You may be able to exchange it for one in working order.
Weasel

ats101

Post by ats101 »

I got it at a LGS and he said no because it was not broke when I bought it so he is not responsible.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would not do anymore business with that LGS as it appears he does not stand behind his sales.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Jdietz

Post by Jdietz »

RTG parts has the safety/decocker in stock as of 02/27/2021.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/P64- ... 2p7734.htm