double action pull weight

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
6thcav

double action pull weight

Post by 6thcav »

Unbelievable results with 18 lb hammer spring , why would I want to replace the slide spring? Anyone tried to get the single action creep out ?
Dennis

Re: double action pull weight

Post by Dennis »

My p64 has a 18 lb hammer spring and a hair trigger with no creep. The single action on my pistol is one pound max. :D
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

One way to achieve this would be to obtain a progressive rate spring, or to cut several coils off the 17/18lb spring, put a washer on there (just larger than the coils, but with a hole just large enough for the strut to pass through), and put a few coils on from a stiffer spring, making your own progressive rate spring. You want just enough coils of the 17/18lb spring to get the hammer cocked, but want the stiffer spring to take over after that.

The other idea that comes to mind would be put a stiffer trigger spring on.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

snailman153624 wrote:One way to achieve this would be to obtain a progressive rate spring, or to cut several coils off the 17/18lb spring, put a washer on there (just larger than the coils, but with a hole just large enough for the strut to pass through), and put a few coils on from a stiffer spring, making your own progressive rate spring. You want just enough coils of the 17/18lb spring to get the hammer cocked, but want the stiffer spring to take over after that.
Interesting idea. I have a CZ70 that I lowered the hammer-spring weight on by trimming coils. Like the P64, the CZ70's DA is horrid. Lighter hammer spring = lighter DA. However, I lightened it enough that it light strikes ammunition with very hard primers (PPU in this case - S&B has softer primers and is 100% reliable). I have purchased a second new-old-stock spring to replace the one that I trimmed (I have the original, a NOS that I trimmed just a bit too much, and a second NOS to trim somewhere between the original and the too-short/over-trimmed). I might be convinced to try to find another spring with larger (or smaller) OD wire and trim them into a progressive spring. This is a very groovy idea.

I haven't yet trimmed my 3rd spring. I've just shimmed the 2nd with washers.

Out of curiosity, is this the point of having one smaller coil spring nested inside a larger?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."