Refurbishing and Refinishing a P64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Refurbishing and Refinishing a P64

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

I just purchased my first P64 (in fact, it hasn't even arrived, yet), but am thinking ahead on what I might want to do with it. I plan to use it for pocket-carry (in a Robert Mika pocket holster) and it will be my every day carry.

I'll probably send it to my favorite gunsmith for either a "field blue" or Parkerizing. Which would be better for a pocket gun?

And, since he will have it disassembled, are there any parts which I might as well go ahead and replace? Recoil spring? Hammer spring? Trigger bar? Firing pin and spring? Extractor? Ejector? Others?

Thanks.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
jemsj4

Re: Refurbishing and Refinishing a P64

Post by jemsj4 »

I can't speak about which would be a better finish as I don't know. My question is, are you sure it needs refinishing? I have 2 P64's, one had a excellent finish, the other just ok. As far as replacing parts, I'd replace the hammer spring with a Wolff 18lb & the other springs. As far as I know, there is no source for new firing pins, so if it looks good, I'd keep it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Post some pices when you get it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jabski

Post by jabski »

As far as firing pins, Robert and Poland has them. At least he had them a month ago. I bought a lot of spare parts for my Pistol ,so I'm good for any breakage. Even have An extra safety, which I'm really happy to have!
jabski

Post by jabski »

And as far as refinishing, mine really did not need it, but I got to thinking why not? The bluing looks nice on pistols, I agree. I just felt like doing something with mine, so I had mine Cerakoted. I'm really happy with the results, And I guess I need to buy a few more pistols to have that done to! Ha ha.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

At this point, I'm thinking more along the lines of hard chrome. That and a set of Marschal grips and I'll be in tall cotton!
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"