re-bluing a P64, anyone know of average prices?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
seanshepard

re-bluing a P64, anyone know of average prices?

Post by seanshepard »

I just got my very first P64 yesterday - I would have gone w/ hand select, but these are getting harder to find, so there was no hand-select option on classicfirearms.com . Gun is from 1972 and I LOVE the way it looks and feels, but it has quite a bit of holster wear, no pitting or rust, just wear and tear. I got a CZ-82 a few months ago that looks almost new, and I love to show it off, and would love to have my P64 look just as good. I have never had a gun 're-blued' - is that an option you guys would recommend? Not collecting this for any value, I just love to shoot the 9x18 and want it to look hot! What can I expect an 'average' price to be (having never done this before, I have no idea what a good, fair price is for such a small gun). I'm brand new to the forum, so sorry if this is worded a bit awkwardly - any advice would be great! I want to get it re-blued and put new grips on so it will look factory new!
Sean
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: re-bluing a P64, anyone know of average prices?

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post pics of what it looks like now as a reference?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
dcsadmin

Post by dcsadmin »

Birthwood Casey Superblue is about $10 a bottle. I touched up my p-64 with superblue and it worked out very well. You must get all the oil off the gun, then apply the Superblue and then reoil.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

seanshepard wrote:I just got my very first P64 yesterday - I would have gone w/ hand select, but these are getting harder to find, so there was no hand-select option on classicfirearms.com . Gun is from 1972 and I LOVE the way it looks and feels, but it has quite a bit of holster wear, no pitting or rust, just wear and tear. I got a CZ-82 a few months ago that looks almost new, and I love to show it off, and would love to have my P64 look just as good. I have never had a gun 're-blued' - is that an option you guys would recommend? Not collecting this for any value, I just love to shoot the 9x18 and want it to look hot! What can I expect an 'average' price to be (having never done this before, I have no idea what a good, fair price is for such a small gun). I'm brand new to the forum, so sorry if this is worded a bit awkwardly - any advice would be great! I want to get it re-blued and put new grips on so it will look factory new!
Sean
Professional rebluing can cost as much as you paid for the gun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
6thcav

Post by 6thcav »

Reblued 2 pistols with Vans gun blue,must get the gun very,very clean. soak in vinegar 1/2 hour,boil the parts w/ dishwashing detergent, clean again with acetone, Apply the blue per instructions.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

http://www.foglesgunsmithing.com/ My recommendation, FWIW. :wink:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I just tried my hand at Rust Bluing with exceptional results. There should be a thread about it around here somewhere.

Piece favor your sword,
Kirk (Mobile)
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."