Safety Lever

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
seniordom

Safety Lever

Post by seniordom »

Recently watched a You Tube video on how to disassemble the slide. Looked simple enough so I decided to disassemble mine since my safety lever was a bit stiff going from safe to fire position. When I got the lever off and checked, I found noting unusual or broken from what I could see and determine. Upon reassembly, which was quite not as easy as the guy on the video, the safety lever is now much much more stiff and hard to operate than before. Is there anything I can do to make the lever function smoothly? I did lubricate the mechanism but that didn't help much.
bear34

Re: Safety Lever

Post by bear34 »

Look for my recent thread titled Frozen Safety. There is a link in it about reshaping the detent pin. I did it with a dremel and it worked great.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

If it is not as smooth or worse than before, take apart again and make sure that detent spring is installed
correctly and is not binding. While everything is apart place arm in slide without spring and detent. Any drag here will only be amplified latter.
Here is how I check the spring and detent:
With the spring and detent removed, find the largest allen wrench, or largest round rod, that will fit into the detent hole. Place spring and detent in slide and CAREFULLY depress all the way. The tip of the detent shoud be flush with or below surface. This checks the action of the detent and confirms that when the safety is rotated the detent will have enough clearance to be depressed into hole. I had one that the spring was in coil bind with the detent above the bore, so I shortened the spring.
saands

Post by saands »

I would NOT machine anything if it worked before you took it apart and now it doesn't ... although you MIGHT have removed some gunk that was helping it work, chances are that you just didn't get it back together quite right ... keep trying and remember, patience is a virtue ... eventually it will come back together.

Saands