P64 won't go together with Wolff 22lb spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
plouffedaddy

P64 won't go together with Wolff 22lb spring

Post by plouffedaddy »

I picked up a 22lb recoil spring for my P64 (trying to reduce the recoil for the wife...) and when I put it on, the slide won't go back on the gun. I pull the slide back as usual when reassembling and the slide won't go down enough for the slide grooves to go into the frame grooves. Anyone else have this problem or is there something I'm doing that's just stupid? :oops:
Dwight

Re: P64 won't go together with Wolff 22lb spring

Post by Dwight »

Actually, that is a pretty common problem. I believe that you will want to do the following:

1) Make sure that the tight end of the spring goes on first (the diameter of the open ends is different)
2) You may want to sand the ends of the spring flat instead of leaving them rounded -- but refer to step 1) first...

Dwight
plouffedaddy

Post by plouffedaddy »

Step 1 is how I was doing it; I guess I'll give step 2 a shot.
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

If you look at the old spring you will see the end that goes on first is flat and the new spring isn't. Just flatten the new spring the same as the old and it will work fine. I have the 20# on mine and see no difference in recoil, would like to see if you see any with the 22.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

I didn't notice any difference going from stock spring to the 22#. Wife also shot both springs and agreed. Also didn't complain or mention the stock spring or recoil as ever being issue though. She has confiscated the P-64 as her gun now.

She has shot stuff with a little more recoil, so I guess it's all relates to compared to what else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7u9vJ5pHJ8
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have the 22lb spring w/o the ends flattened.

It will go on but can be a challenge.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

plouffedaddy,

Refer to this thread on grinding the spring:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447

Generally speaking most of us have to grind the springs for them to fit correctly. Curly is an exception. Keep in mind that; if the slide does not want to go on, and you somehow get it on, it will be ten times harder to get it off.

Weasel
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
plouffedaddy

Post by plouffedaddy »

Thanks for all the help guys. Before I posted here, I emailed Wolff. They called me back about an hour ago and I spoke with Dave who was really helpful. He stated basically what everyone here has said but expounded a little. I'll pass what he said along for everyone's knowledge....

He said with the original spring they released, they found that in about 6-8 out of every 1000 they sold they would get a call/email stating this problem. A few months ago they redesigned the spring to eliminate this issue. My spring was one of the new ones and he stated it was the first time he's heard this from anyone who purchased the new spring. I told him I'd gladly grind down my spring but he insisted that they'll send a new one out free of charge and he'd grind it before he puts it in the mail.

Tough to complain about that kind of service!
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Add me to the list of those that needed to be ground flat, from an order I received from Wolff end of January. Like most probably did, just followed advice here and never bothered to email Wolff (6-8 out of every 1000?)

I replaced springs not for reduced recoil, but to prevent wear and tear. Safety catch broke in half shortly after getting the P-64, and read that with reloads, heavier springs should be used to reduce wear and damage from possibly hotter reloads.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Actually mine comes off OK.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary