P64 Safety detent mod success!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
zBadOne

P64 Safety detent mod success!

Post by zBadOne »

Hello,

I just received my P64, noticed the safety was unbearably difficult to switch between the Safe/Fire modes.

After I cleaned and disassembled the slide I measured the spring and the detent and mine was reading 21.65mm.
I've read in another post that someone else had measured about 20mm, so out came my snips and I cut the spring, one coil at a time and re-assembled and tested, it was getting better but not quite, So I disassembled it again and cut another small piece off, I did this a few times and my final measurement got to 19.65mm and now I can move the safety with my thumb on my shooting hand, where as before it took two hand to force it over.

I did compare my detent to others I've seen and it appeared to have a nice point before I cut my spring. I now consider myself an expert in removing the safety detent after so many times!
-- Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 Safety detent mod success!

Post by juniustaylor »

That is awesome! Practice creates familiarity. Next you can try tearing the frame down. After a couple times it'll be second nature.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Good job.

wyo-man
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Nice. One of mine was the same way--- finally got the safety to move back and forth once, but was afraid to move it anymore because it was so stiff. I almost took it too far, forgetting that the pistol will loosen up here with firing and some safety rotations. I took a very small allen wrench and fully compressed the detent and spring. I then observed that the height was too much, especially since the spring was in coil bind and there was nothing else to give except for wearing the tit off my detent.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum bro.
Last edited by Curly1 on March 26th, 2012, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
zBadOne

Post by zBadOne »

I still have to address my wives P-64, same as mine, very stiff safety but will wait till I have some range time with mine before looking at her safety detent. Mine is still just a little bit off but it could be because my thumb is tender and sore from working the safety so many times when it was very difficult to engage!

Will keep you all posted on the outcome.
-- Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing...
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

There is no spring assist in safety rotation. When in safe or fire, the spring is under less compression than when rotating out of the cat eye cut outs in the safety barrell. There will always be this feeling of getting the safety "over the hump" to the safe cut out or fire cut out. Also, a lot more is going on when moving to safe-- decocking, so I believe back to fire is somewhat easier. I did not want mine to be so easy that it will come flying out or rotate!!!!