New P64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ccf

New P64

Post by ccf »

First time owner. I expected a stuff trigger, but was surprised just how difficult it is.

I have strong hands & it's usable, but I'm interested in seeing if a new trigger spring would make a noticeable difference. Just wondering if the 18# trigger spring from Wolf is still considered to be the "solution".

Also, I'm fairly new to doing gunsmithing-type stuff on my guns & I'd be grateful if someone would tell me the exact name of the spring I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New P64

Post by juniustaylor »

CCF, welcome.

A lot of folks go with the Wolff 18 or 19 pound hammer spring. The hammer spring (mainspring) is the one that determines the large majority of the trigger pull. I personally use a 17 pound but some folks have complained of light strikes or the magazine falls out on the last shot. I've never experienced it with mine, but it certainly is possible.
Direct Link: http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pag ... D=1&mID=49
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
ccf

Post by ccf »

juniustaylor wrote:CCF, welcome.

A lot of folks go with the Wolff 18 or 19 pound hammer spring. The hammer spring (mainspring) is the one that determines the large majority of the trigger pull. I personally use a 17 pound but some folks have complained of light strikes or the magazine falls out on the last shot. I've never experienced it with mine, but it certainly is possible.
Much appreciated. Thanks.
klink140

Post by klink140 »

I did a replacement of the main spring with a 17 lb and heavier recoil spring with Wolff springs and it's made a big difference on how the gun shoots.
Something else I noticed is that after about 200 rounds through it, it got a lot smoother and easier to control and felt less like a 25 lb. mousetrap.

I shot mine on a 20 yard qualification course and even under panic/rapid fire I still managed to keep everything within the 8 ring.
I recommend painting the front site white as well. It makes target acquisition a lot easier with the flat/low sites of the P64.

Good luck.
ccf

Post by ccf »

klink140 wrote:I did a replacement of the main spring with a 17 lb and heavier recoil spring with Wolff springs and it's made a big difference on how the gun shoots.
Something else I noticed is that after about 200 rounds through it, it got a lot smoother and easier to control and felt less like a 25 lb. mousetrap.

I shot mine on a 20 yard qualification course and even under panic/rapid fire I still managed to keep everything within the 8 ring.
I recommend painting the front site white as well. It makes target acquisition a lot easier with the flat/low sites of the P64.

Good luck.
Did the new recoil spring make a difference on how hard it kicks back? I've never been bothered by recoil, but I've got big, meaty hands & it's putting a good wallop on top of my hand between my thumb & index finger. I believe the slide is doing the damage, not the hammer.

I'm already convinced this will be a reliable, accurate CC piece, but I'd love it to be a little more pleasant to shoot on the range. I love this gun & the 9x18 round.

Again, it's not the recoil in & of itself, just the way it's slapping my hand. Can anything remedy that?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I really didn't notice much difference between the stock spring and the one I put on mine. I think I did a 20# recoil spring. For $8 plus shipping I don't feel it was any improvement.

You could try getting one of those Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeves. Another suggestion may be a section of a bicycle innertube and make it have a little tongue that would sit in the area in the web of your hand and possibly take some of the punishment of the recoil. Might look dumb, but may be more comfortable. The web of my hand gets kind of bruised; not by the slide or hammer, it's just the sheer recoil of the thing. If you want to shoot it for pleasure and not practicing for self defense, you could try wearing shooting gloves or similar glove.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
ccf

Post by ccf »

juniustaylor wrote:I really didn't notice much difference between the stock spring and the one I put on mine. I think I did a 20# recoil spring. For $8 plus shipping I don't feel it was any improvement.

You could try getting one of those Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeves. Another suggestion may be a section of a bicycle innertube and make it have a little tongue that would sit in the area in the web of your hand and possibly take some of the punishment of the recoil. Might look dumb, but may be more comfortable. The web of my hand gets kind of bruised; not by the slide or hammer, it's just the sheer recoil of the thing. If you want to shoot it for pleasure and not practicing for self defense, you could try wearing shooting gloves or similar glove.
Thanks for the info.
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

ccf wrote:
klink140 wrote: I believe the slide is doing the damage, not the hammer.

I'm already convinced this will be a reliable, accurate CC piece, but I'd love it to be a little more pleasant to shoot on the range. I love this gun & the 9x18 round.

Again, it's not the recoil in & of itself, just the way it's slapping my hand. Can anything remedy that?
I too have big hands and I think the bite is caused by the tang not the slide. At least on the model I have (1971) there is a seam between the top of the plastic grips and the bottom of the steel tang. This seam, and the vertical one between the plastic grips, might be the culprits. I am planning to experiment with some pads and wraps to cover them and will report back on whether they make a difference.
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

Another solution may be a pair of bike riding gloves. They have extra padding on the palm for leaning
on the handlebar and should provide extra "meat" for the palm area. I will give them a try myself
when I get to the range.
T.May

Post by T.May »

juniustaylor wrote:CCF, welcome.

Brand new P-64 owner...long time gun tinkerer.
Has to be the hardest DA trigger pull I have ever seen. Other than lowering the weight of the hammer spring...anyone done anything to the sear and hammer hooks like on a 1911? I would really like to lower the DA pull so my wife can have one of these also.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Altering the sear angle isn't going to do a thing for the double action pull. The 1911 is a single action gun, so it's resistance is at that interface (minus the travel in the slot, disco, etc). The P64 must go through the full length of pull to the fire in DA.
T.May

Post by T.May »

dfunk wrote:Altering the sear angle isn't going to do a thing for the double action pull. The 1911 is a single action gun, so it's resistance is at that interface (minus the travel in the slot, disco, etc). The P64 must go through the full length of pull to the fire in DA.

dfunk,

Let me elaborate a little on that question. I have read in the forum that lowering the weight of the hammer spring will bring down the trigger pull of the DA portion substantially. I have ordered a 17# Wolf spring for my gun. I have also read that doing this will cause the SA pull to decrease, as would be expected...much like a 1911. Has anyone tried to change the angle of the hammer hooks to a more positive position to then raise the SA pull back to where it was with the original weight hammer spring...which is fine for SA unless you like a real light trigger...?

Hope that makes more sense....