Major Problems - All Advice Welcome

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mojo357

Major Problems - All Advice Welcome

Post by mojo357 »

Hi.

I have a second hand P-64 bought on an online auction. When I bought it I asked the seller if he had changed the springs and he claimed he never did anything to it. The first test I gave it was just chambering and ejecting rounds manually without firing it. This revealed that the slide didn't fully close, and the gun had a limp trigger problem that manifested when I tried to chamber a round. It also has a very stiff safety.

I tried cleaning all parts of the slide first. Following Junius's excellent video, I was able to disassemble all the small springs and pins. I cleaned them, and the empty slide, using an ultrasonic cleaner, which drew some gunk out of the slide and springs. I also used mineral spirits, and some steel wool.

I then discovered that the hammer was locked back and I couldn't uncock it, no matter what I tried.

After thoroughly cleaning the safety I put all the pieces of the slide back together. The safety detente spring was a killer, but I finally managed to get it all to snap into place correctly.

The safety is still very stiff, but even worse, I can't get the slide back on the gun now. I'm following the correct procedure. The slide will make it all the way back but I can't get it down into place, seated on the rails.

My uneducated guess it that the locked hammer may be related to the slide not seating problem. I have not disassembled anything other than the slide. Since I seem to be making the gun worse, I'm a little afraid to try anything else.

If anyone has a clue what might be the root of the problem I'd welcome any advice. If the original American owner tried to install new springs and muffed it, do you think it would cause these problems? I know that uncleaned cosmoline is supposed to be to blame for the majority of problems, but could it cause the hammer to lock up?

Lastly, are the inside of the slide and the safety and other interior parts supposed to be finished with a dark stain or are they better bare? I used a dremel to remove what I thought might be cosmoline, taking it to bare metal. But I can re-blue it if it needs more protection than oil.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I was very happy when I got the gun, now it's looking like a lemon.

The gun has matching numbers. I thought maybe the slide was from a different gun, because it seems a little tight. But I guess that's the way it's designed.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Major Problems - All Advice Welcome

Post by Curly1 »

Is the recoil spring at the chamber end of the barrel flat or is the last coil round like the rest of the spring?

Take a look at these threads

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4365

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

[quote="Curly1"]Is the recoil spring at the chamber end of the barrel flat or is the last coil round like the rest of the spring?

It is flat. The tight fitting end is closest to the chamber.

I will study the links you suggested, they look promising.

I probably won't get to taking a stab at it for a few days but will post any progress.

Thanks, Curly!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Ok get yer mojo working and let us know how you make out. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

I took my gun apart and I think this must be the main problem. It appears as if the plunger retainer
has a part broken off. I'm talking about the part to the left of the front, which looks like a groove
has been worn into it. It's supposed to be round and solid, right? That concave hole is damage,
or am I wrong in this assumption?

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

What part is this?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

No, it's normal. That "groove" is the cutaway for a retaining screw to hold this pin in place. The dimple is fine as well.

I'll take mine apart and put a picture on here to see if yours looks like mine.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

The cut away on the end is for screw. it allows the screw to be countersunk and for a just under flush fit with the frame of the gun. The slide passes over all this. The screw head must be down and aligned with the cut out you are talking about. The flat part above the cut out is where the slide rails engage. Should be about parallel with the inside rail. Also the round straight part that looks like it has a dot on it must be inside the rail and not sticking out. Try putting stuff back on with stuff left out---slide without recoil spring-- slide without all the sear stuff.

Make sure the trigger pin is in the U shaped cut out on the left side of the frame. Something I need to remember to do evertime I go to put the slide back on.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Here you can see how the screw interacts with this sear plunger pin.

Here is a picture of my pin by itself.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

The pictures of the new ones for sale look like you have to do the cut out for the screw head yourself.
Very observant mojo357!!!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I had looked at new ones on gunbroker and noticed the same thing myself. You would have to mill that cutaway yourself for the screw to hold it it place and be countersunk enough to clear the slide.
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

Junius, Thanks again! After all my bumbling around I finally figured out the real problems with my gun. The old slide stop spring kept getting jammed between the slide stop and the frame, which caused serious jamming of the slide. I literally had to use a rubber mallet to take the slide off. By gently tapping on the back of the tang I was able to work it off without damaging anything. Which is a relief because the gun has a gorgeous like new finish.

Also the trigger spring got unhooked from the groove in the crossbar. I'm still not sure if the trigger is in properly. The previous owner may have replaced it and put it in wrong. I'll find out when I test fire it.

I've pm'd Norm about buying one of his slide stop springs. I have one I jerryrigged from a safety pin that seems to be pretty good but it's too crude to pin my hopes on.

I still have a very very tight safety. I dread having to fool with that dang spring again but I will at some point dismantle it again and polish the safety with the dremel.

Thanks to all the helpful posters here! This has to be the friendliest and most supportive group on the internet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds good, give us a range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

UPDATE - RANGE REPORT.

I replaced the old slide stop spring with one from Norm and finally made it to the range.
I still had some problems but feel I am halfway towards a solid little shooter. This time
the gun fired several rounds, but jammed after about 3 shots on average from each mag.

It might sound crazy for a 40 year old gun, but I think it may still need to be broken in.
It's in excellent condition and looks like new. These guns are very tightly engineered
and based on their history, I'll bet that half of them out there are still tight, which would
make them finicky unless cleaned and lubed properly.

The safety is the biggest problem on my gun, it is almost impossible to move it without a tap
from a tool. I am going to strip down the slide and take the dremel to it, plus clean out the
slots that hold the springs. I'm also going to change the recoil spring to tame it a little.

I actually took 5 guns to the range that day. Although it jammed, the P-64 was the most
accurate, along with a Beretta Brigadier. My CZ-82 was the most reliable. I put several
mags through it without a hiccup.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

What brand of ammo are you using and is it FMJ or JHP?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary