sight modifications

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

sight modifications

Post by Ketchman »

hey guys, well I have finished my sight mods. I bought a browning Buckmark Hi-Viz shotgun bead front sight, cut it off right behind the magnification tube and mounted it backward replacing the front sight after milling a .20 deep slot in the front of the slide which removed the front sight, then drilled and tapped the slide for the sight mounting screw of which 5 different sizes come with the sight, and secured the sight using locktight. The bead sight comes with red and green fiber optic tubes. I then opened up the rear sight blade a bit (SLOW careful filing). Then touched up the affected areas with cold blue and viola! Shoots to point of aim like before the changes and boy does that front sight show up in any kind of light. It does not snag on my Uncle Mikes IWB holster and I like it alot. Total cost including sight is $75.00 which I am more than happy with. What do you guys think?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: sight modifications

Post by Curly1 »

Nice work there.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Ketchman
excellent job

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Ketchman, that looks real nice. Very professional looking.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

That certainly is a unique setup. I like that you can change out the sight bead for a different color if you choose to. Good Job! It turned out really nice.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I am jealous. What I would give to have a horizontal miller. ‘Very professional job, by the way ketehman.
I don’t have a miller but I do have JB weld. I glued a fluorescent tube to my slide see attached photo. I did the same thing to one of my 1911 about 20.000 rounds ago and it has never fallen off.
If some of you try this, make sure the slide is clean with no oil on it and sand the side of the fluorescent tube where it’s going to sit in the JB wield.
Attachments
p64-.jpg
billhac

Post by billhac »

i love it. but for me i wanted to go with something bigger. those little sights suck a bit. heres what i did

for me it works better than looking down the sights.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks guys. buy the way, the $75.00 includes what I paid to have the slot milled in the slide. Dennis, I gotta say for pure creativity with few materials used, yours is genius! And Billhac, yours is awesome, but I have learned the hard way from previous experience that switches and batteries fail at the worst f$%*&^% times! And with my luck it would be at the time I need this the very worst so laser sights are a no go for me. But don't think that I am not in admiration of your setup, cause I am. Anyway, next up is refinishing.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Very slick looking.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I think it's awesome! Great work!

PS I updated your post to display the photos inline.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks for that dfunk. i wondered why they weren't showing online, guess I'll have to revisit picture posting 101!!
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

ketchman,
sights look great. however one pic i see the safety off and in another i can see you have one in the chamber. yet you still took a picture of the business end of the gun. just sayin' :shock:
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

badgerjfr, good eyes on the chamber indicator. However , that picture of the business end was the last in the stack and before I took that one the mag was dropped and chamber cleared. Glad you liked the sight though. and thanks for lookin out for a fellow's safety. :D
klink140

Post by klink140 »

That's a really great use of available parts. Beats the white model paint I put on the front site every couple months.
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

DaVinci is credited with saying, "The supreme misfortune occurs when theory outstrips performance." No misfortune with your work. Great idea and great execution! I also agree with you 100% on relying on electronics and batteries when your life is on the line. No laser sights or lights on any of my defensive tools. I did get a cheap Tasco Red Dot for my M1A to check it out, but the iron sights are zeroed and the Red Dot comes off fast.