Need a new slide

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Pervis

Need a new slide

Post by Pervis »

I bought my father a P64 a couple years back for fathers day. I replaced the springs in it for him because the trigger sucked. I have a Walther PP and that trigger isnt the greatest either... However I need a new slide for my father's pistol. Im new to this forum I asked this quesion on the theakforum.net and there was no luck. Anyone have a spare they'd be willing to part with? The rails on my fathers are junk. :(
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Need a new slide

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum bro.

If you can't find one you could go this route at centerfire for the gunsmith special. But after shipping and transfer fees you will probably be into it for over $100.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4503
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Pervis

Post by Pervis »

thank you for the welcome and reply sir I will have to contact my father about this one.
Pervis

Post by Pervis »

Good news all that was needed to make my father's pistol run correctly was replacing the main recoil spring... The Wolff one was too long and binded the gun up for dissassembly and shooting. Good thing we held on to the original! Again thanks for your help I just thought I'd update.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That is AWESOME, glad to hear it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Pervis wrote:Good news all that was needed to make my father's pistol run correctly was replacing the main recoil spring... The Wolff one was too long and binded the gun up for dissassembly and shooting. Good thing we held on to the original! Again thanks for your help I just thought I'd update.
I wish all the fixes were that easy! Has anyone heard of the 20lb. "power" recoil spring to replace the 18lb. factory spring? Just curious.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yes. I installed a 20lb recoil spring on mine and I like it very much. I also have a 22lb spring but have not installed it yet.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Ketchman wrote:Yes. I installed a 20lb recoil spring on mine and I like it very much. I also have a 22lb spring but have not installed it yet.
Did you notice any difference in the performance of your gun with the 20# spring? I saw them on Buymilsurp.com, but don't know if it would be worth anything investing in one. :?:
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I didn't notice much difference on mine. I too have a 20# installed. There was debate some time back as to keeping a sort of balance on the springs. It was suggested if you change the mainspring (hammer) spring to a lighter one, you should increase the recoil spring weight. Something to do with the slide coming back and overpowering the lighter mainspring if you kept the factory recoil spring. Don't know if I believe in all that. I've shot mine with the original and the 20# and while there may have been a very slight recoil reduction with the heavier spring. It wasn't enough to make me want to buy a 20# spring if I could do it over again.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have not noticed much recoil reduction, although it does not seem to make the web of my hand as sore or red, so some benefit there. I did replace the trigger spring with a 17lb unit when i put in the 20lb recoil spring and replaced the firing pin spring with the "extra power" firing pin spring that came with the 20lb recoil spring. The gun runs just fine with either set although it still sends the empties into the next county. I still have to try the 22lb spring yet though.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.