P64 Hammer strut peen,worn firiing pin&round recoil spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Nakanokalronin

P64 Hammer strut peen,worn firiing pin&round recoil spring

Post by Nakanokalronin »

I recently picked up my 1971 P64 and took it down for cleaning and installation of the Wolff springs when they arrive. The hammer and sear look to be in excellent condition with almost no wear but I had a few questions about other parts.

I noticed the hammer strut seems to be peened down in an area where it's suppose to be a point. Looking at how the hammer acts in relation to the strut makes me wonder if it's an issue at all.

The arrow points to the point I'm referring to

Second part is the firing pin. I'm not sure how much the firing pin is suppose to stick out of the safety when in the firing position but it seems barely enough for the hammer to hit. The other is the peening on the front of the safety tab. It's more than likely due to dry firing from the previous owner weather that be here or Poland, who knows. Not sure if it's an issue.

The third thing I noticed was the recoil spring did not have flat ends like everyone seems to say is how the factory makes them. The hammer spring was defiantly stock with that horrendous trigger pull but the recoil spring seems to be light like the 18lb factory type, yet with no flat ends.

fully machined

Re: P64 Hammer strut peen,worn firiing pin&round recoil spri

Post by fully machined »

Maybe if you keep looking you will find more stuff. That all stinks!!! Consider sending it back or keeping it as a project. Excellent observations.
Nakanokalronin

Post by Nakanokalronin »

So far I'm figuring someone changed the recoil spring and the firing pin spring was worn out and someone dry fired it quite a bit. The hammer strut is pretty peened in that one spot though. The only place that has a "new" firing pin and strut is a guy from Poland on Gunbroker. I ordered them both but I'm surprised there isn't a part supplier in the states for these guns considering how popular they are. You'd think a place like Numrich or similar site would have bought a bunch of these and parted them out.
Since nobody knows if the strut peening is an issue, I guess it will sit in pieces until the new one shows up. :|
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Yes, your hammer strut "shelf" looks like it ia about one half to two thirds short compared to mine. This shelf comes into play when the hammer is down. When you mash down on the disconnector the hammer should not move.
Nakanokalronin

Post by Nakanokalronin »

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to wait for that replacement strut it seems.