AS SEEN ON TV!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
tdickens

AS SEEN ON TV!

Post by tdickens »

I have been seeing an infomercial for a product called Flex Seal. If you haven't seen it, it is a spray on rubber to seal leaks and such.

The thought occured to me that I might be able to coat my P64 grips with the stuff to take a little bite out of the recoil of my P64. I might try this in the next day or two. I have an extra set of grips, so If I screw up, it will not be a big loss.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: AS SEEN ON TV!

Post by juniustaylor »

Flex Seal looks exactly like carriage undercoating that you'd spray on the frames of vehicles, gas tanks, etc. It's just a rubbery-type stuff. Flex seal costs about $13 for a small can (that was at Walgreen's). Carriage undercoating is about $5 or 6 for a large can. You can find it at O'Reilly's and Autozone. Something to think about. I think it's the same product but a different name so that folks can make some money off of it. That's a good idea though tdickens. I hadn't thought of it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
tdickens

Post by tdickens »

I have a can of the stuff that I bought in the mall yesterday. I just have to find a few minutes when the kids aren't around so I can play.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes this sounds like an interesting experiment.

Look forward to your findings.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:Carriage undercoating is about $5 or 6 for a large can. You can find it at O'Reilly's and Autozone.
http://www.autogeek.net/under-coating.html
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rubberized-u ... 18-oz.html

I've seen some people do the same thing with various plasti-dip sprays and rubber sprays for the grips on Hi Point handguns with mixed results. Some people like them and report an improvement in grip and control. Others report the tackiness is unpleasant and the rubber peels off too easily.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
nsnutter

Post by nsnutter »

I received a can of this stuff for xmas - and not knowing what else to do with it I treated my grips to a nice rubbery makeover. I put two generous coats on them and let them cure overnight. So far I'm pleased with the results - it definitely seemed to help the ergonomics a bit! A word of caution however - be careful when using this stuff, it sprays out a bit like carb cleaner and goes on THICK! Its not the fine mist I expected - so be sure to use a fast sweeping motion when applying, should you decide to go this route. Ill try to post some pictures when I figure out how to do that lol
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of how that turned out. to post pics, simply upload the pictures to photobucket or some site like that. Copy and paste the IMG html to the post using the Img button.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
BorisThespider

Post by BorisThespider »

lklawson wrote:
juniustaylor wrote:Carriage undercoating is about $5 or 6 for a large can. You can find it at O'Reilly's and Autozone.
http://www.autogeek.net/under-coating.html
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rubberized-u ... 18-oz.html

I've seen some people do the same thing with various plasti-dip sprays and rubber sprays for the grips on Hi Point handguns with mixed results. Some people like them and report an improvement in grip and control. Others report the tackiness is unpleasant and the rubber peels off too easily.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I've used plasti-dip spray before for some other things I was doing at the time. I didn't prep the piece very well, so I ultimately had problems with adhesion. I think that could be corrected with proper prep-work. The neat thing, however, is that it does spray in a fine mist, so you can control the finish. My favorite work was done when I applied several VERY light layers with drying (but not overnight curing) in between. When it came out, it had a very coarse surface that didn't feel at all tacky. I may even try to duplicate that on a set of grips for my CZ-82.

For those who don't know, Plasti-Dip is the stuff used to coat tool handles. You'll normally find it in a dip (as the name suggests) that you just dip your tools into. It comes out thick that way, looking a lot like the handles on cheap pliers. The spray version can be a bit harder to find, but it is great for a lot of things because you can more easily control its application.
69murray

Post by 69murray »

I've been thinking about using the stick on "energy absorbing" pads made for the PF-9 by KTADDONS along with a Handall Jr. (if I can make it fit). Anyone else tried this?