Swapped out my mainspring over the weekend.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
BlitzPig

Swapped out my mainspring over the weekend.

Post by BlitzPig »

Finally got my mainspring kit from Wolff.

Popped in the 19 pound (middle of the three) spring. Very easy job, but then I do work with my hands for a living...

The improvement to the DA pull was not as pronounced as I expected, so I took a close look at the original spring. Seems a former owner cut several coils off. Not a great way to adjust any spring but it got him some improvement. Still the Wolff spring has made DA better with less stacking towards the end of the pull.

Now if I could only find a way to make the single action trigger pull heavier. Yup, you heard (well, read it actually) correctly. My SA trigger breaks at a consistent 3.25 pounds according to my RCBS trigger pull gauge. This is far too light for a self defense pistol, and it's lightness is exaggerated by the still heavy pull in double action. If this were the trigger pull on my 1911 I'd be delighted, as that is a range queen only. But my P64 was purchased with CCW in mind and I'd be much more comfortable with a 4.5 to 5 pound trigger, like all my other "service grade" auto loaders have.

Any thoughts on how to give my service grade pistol a service spec single action trigger pull?
A conquering army on the border will not be stopped by eloquence. Otto von Bismarck
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Swapped out my mainspring over the weekend.

Post by juniustaylor »

It think it had been lightly discussed, but I don't know of any way to increase the SA pull without affected DA pull and vice-versa. I know a lot of folks that are concerned with the P-64 as being their primary carry piece do not bother with the DA pull and leave it stock with the 24# spring as it's more of a "safety". I use 17# and love the ultra-light pull.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
BlitzPig

Post by BlitzPig »

My Wolff kit shipped with 18,19, and 20 pound springs. Interesting.

I'm going to practice the DA to SA translation and see if I can control it better than I have so far. Perhaps with the new spring the DA first shot won't cause me to get an inadvertent double tap on the first SA pull, like I was first time out.
A conquering army on the border will not be stopped by eloquence. Otto von Bismarck
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I've been fortunate to never double tap with my spring. I think it's because I don't shoot like a target shooter. Over travel doesn't bother me, so I pull the trigger all the way to the rear and release to reset the trigger. It is an interesting deal that Wolff sends the 3-pak out without the 17# as an option. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Pretty much everyone on this board uses either an 18 or a 19# mainspring. Myself and a handful others are the exceptions and use a 17# spring. I don't think anyone on here has a 20# spring, if they do, they've never mentioned it that I have saw. So, it would make more sense to me of Wolff issued the 3-pak with a 17, 18, and 19# spring. Oh well, barking up the wrong tree. Definitely do some practicing to get used to it. I love the light SA.
Diesel McBadass

Post by Diesel McBadass »

i got a 5 pound sa and an unusable da, im waiting for my punches to change the springs.
bil

Post by bil »

I know this is a stupid question, but I'm new at this.
Where IS the hammer spring?
And, are there any online guides to changing it out?
Thanks,
bil
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Sure....actually here is disassemble and re-assemble of the entire pistol. Very well done by this gentleman.
http://www.youtube.com/user/saysonny
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The Only Sarge wrote:Sure....actually here is disassemble and re-assemble of the entire pistol. Very well done by this gentleman.
http://www.youtube.com/user/saysonny
Here are the videos where I put them centralized on the board. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200 I hope the videos will help you in figuring out the mainspring. To actually change it, you will have to take the mag release off, switch out the spring, then put the mag release lever back in place. Sounds easy, but it's got quite a bit of resistance from the spring itself. I may see about making a video on it. Guess I could do that tonight since my 8mm Mauser die set didn't show up. Dumb Midway for sending it UPS Basic so they transfer it to the post office. I wish they would have held it for me at UPS, they're a block or two away... that really chaps my behind, I was expecting to get to do some loading tonight.... :x
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Bil, I have made the video and uploaded it to Youtube. However, they are down and in a read-only mode currently. So, my video won't be available for a little bit. Once it is, I'll post the video right here for you to see.

EDIT: Took Youtube a few hours to finally come back online... here is the video as promised.

bil

Post by bil »

Guys, thank you all so much. Junious, this video has gone to my "Favorites" file so I don't lose it. I'll certainly use it when my Wolff spring gets here. I think part of my confusion is that the part is variously called the hammer spring and the mainspring, even saw it called the magazine spring once. This clears it all up for me.
THANKS!! :hi:
Bil
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

The official terminology is the Dohickey Spring and the Thingamabob Spring.
It all goes on the Dillywhacker.
BlitzPig

Post by BlitzPig »

:lol:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Bil, I suppose when someone called it the magazine spring, they must have been trying to refer to it as the magazine release spring, or mag release lever spring. That is what it also does. Besides forcing the hammer forward to hit the firing pin, it is what holds the magazine in place via the lever as a catch.

Glad the video will be of some help to you.