Need a new decoker/safety

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
peewee102

Need a new decoker/safety

Post by peewee102 »

Any idea where to get a safety/decocker?
stover

Re: Need a new decoker/safety

Post by stover »

Can't speak for the sellers but there are several listed on gunbroker, just did a search for p64 safety and got 8 or 9 results.
peewee102

Post by peewee102 »

stover wrote:Can't speak for the sellers but there are several listed on gunbroker, just did a search for p64 safety and got 8 or 9 results.
Thank you!
ronnyreagan

Post by ronnyreagan »

I bought one off gunbroker from seller "CEREALKILLERUS", it just arrived yesterday. Looks good, arrived quick enough considering I payed with personal check. He also used to (maybe still?) list items under the name "yakooza", both accounts have very good feedback.
peewee102

Post by peewee102 »

Well, I just ordered a safety from Poland. Probably take 3 weeks to get here. The first time I shot the pistol, I hated the DA pull and stout recoil. Replaced the hammer and recoil springs with an 18lb and 22lb from Wolff. But I didn't change out the firing pin spring that came with them. Went out and shot 25 rounds through it. MUCH better. The heavier recoil spring really helped. But, when I got ready to come off the range, found out the safety wouldn't work. Got it home and saw it was broken. Finally got the broken parts out. Hopefully the new one will go in easy. Do you think not putting the heavier firing pin spring caused the safety to break?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

IMO, no. I think the breakage is attributed to either the brittleness of the metal it's made of, the sharp cuts to form the corners and cutouts, or both. The heavier firing pin spring is to get the firing pin retracted back into the bolt face upon firing to prevent firing pin tip breakage from dragging against the primer. That is straight from a Wolff customer service rep. The other opinion on it is to keep a slamfire from occuring due to the increase in forward force with the extra power recoil spring. I prodded the rep about that but he didn't comment on it, he just said it was to get it retracted quicker.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
peewee102

Post by peewee102 »

Thanks for the info on the firing pin spring. I was going to R2 it anyway, but now I know why!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Hah, R2, haven't heard that since the Air Force working on the flightline.
peewee102

Post by peewee102 »

juniustaylor wrote:Hah, R2, haven't heard that since the Air Force working on the flightline.
I have 26 years in and 5 to 8 more to go! Started out on F-4D radars!
juanace

Post by juanace »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the meaning of R2? I spent 20 years in the USAF as a POL troop and do not recall hearing that from the crew chiefs.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

(R-square) Remove and Replace... As a bubble chaser, I did a lot of it.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Dip Six that sucker.
peewee102

Post by peewee102 »

The Only Sarge wrote:Dip Six that sucker.
I did Sarge! Recieved the safety and got it installed. Man, getting the plunger spring compressed enough was a pain! Seems to work OK. I'm going to the range tomorrow, we'll see how it does. I'm going to treat the new safety likes it's made of paper!
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I think that scoundrel Mr. Taylor came up with the idea to use a basketball air needle as the perfect P-64 spring compression tool.

I meant to say Deep Six and it came out Dip Six. LOL....Mama must have spiked my Geritol that day or sumpin :)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Scoundrel huh? :lol:

The inflator needle seems to work good. I think most anything with a small hole in the end would work good... You could probably take a punch of a small diameter and divot a hole in the end of it to hold the pointed tip of the detent. That certainly helps. The other thing that I think helps is to lightly crimp the end of the detent spring so that it holds onto the detent. This is good for a couple reasons. #1 is so that if your compressing device slips, it prevents the detent from launching off into space. The spring keeps it held in the hole that way. #2, the spring keeps the detent in line while compressing into the hole. So, all in all, it's good to crimp the spring onto the detent as there is a tiny nub on the backside of the detent just for this purpose. It even has a light groove around its circumference for the spring to rest in. Fart Smellers those Polish were.