Trigger problem P-64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
juanace

Trigger problem P-64

Post by juanace »

Posted also in the general P 64 discussion section.

Well got my toy yesterday and looks OK. Some holster wear in the left side and overall looks OK, not excellent. Paid extra ten bucks for hand pick and I guess wasted. However it has some big nicks by the barrel hood that looks that were filed out and not refinish. I hope it does not cause any functional issues. However I noticed right away that the trigger was not engaging when I decocked the hammmer from fire to safe or safe to fire. Flipped from safe to fire and the trigger felt the same way in both positions. Trigger bar was moving fine and trigger spring seems to be fine. The problems is/was that the disconnector was not raising into the slide slot. I did clean one burr from the disconnector and no luck. I did filed some metal out of the botton of the slide were the hammer pinned/raised the metal by the safety were the disconnector goes/rides in (disconector cut out??). I did this few times and reassemble with not luck. However I discovered that by pushing the slide back about 1/16 of an inch I could hear the disconnector click/engage into position in the slide and the trigger would work. I did this a few more times lubed with weapons sheild grease and now seems to work. Safety is very hard to engage also. Any suggestions? I have not loaded any ammo, tested or completely taken apart for a good cleaning.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Trigger problem P-64

Post by juniustaylor »

Same as what I told you in the General Discussion. Take the safety components all out, give the entire gun a REAL good cleaning. Lube it all up and see if it improves. If not, you can polish/file some burrs out in the safety channel area and do some light filing/grinding on the safety detent tip.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juanace

Post by juanace »

juniustaylor
Thanks I will do. Slide soaking on mineral spirits as I write this. Took it to the range today, mag fell out on the firsts shoot. Rookie mistake, apparently was not seated properly. Did not happen again. The trigger problem creepep up once or twice more and I belief is the safety/disconnector issue. Other wise the DA is horrible had to use my two index fingers many times to get it to go off. I will have to order some wolff springs for this beast. SA action is sweet. Shoot 58 rounds of Brown bear and 11 Hornady JHP. All went bang, One time one of the mags did not lock slide back on last round. This gun looks like it was played with a lot, but not shoot a lot. Bore is pristine. Recoil is the WOW scale. Recoil worst than my PA 63 before I chaged the springs with a wolff kit.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juanace wrote:Recoil is the WOW scale. Recoil worst than my PA 63 before I chaged the springs with a wolff kit.
Tends to be subjective. Personally, I agree with you. The recoil is, um... "unpleasant." However, there are a lot of people who report that they don't have much issue with the recoil.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juanace

Post by juanace »

I disassembled the slide and cleaned up some areas with my files and polished the safety plunger and seens to be working a little better. Next time I take the safety out to change the firing pin spring I will polish some more with my dremel. The safety/disconnetor issue seems to have gone away due to the cleaning and polishing of the slide/safety /disconnector. I have the wolff spring set coming, recoil/hammer springs, etc. I will update ASAP, need the parts and some more ammo. The gun did not have any cosmo that I can tell, but the frame and slide turned the mineral spirits gray/black fast after soaking.
juanace

Post by juanace »

Wolff spring kit in. Will update ASAP. Need more ammo.
juanace

Post by juanace »

Replaced the hammer spring with the 20# one. I can pull the trigger on DA every time with some difficulty. WIll skip the 19# one. So I will go to the 18# and test fire when I get some ammo. It is a pain to remove the hammer spring, but is about three times the pain to get it back in to position to get in the pin. I did not change in the SA pull that much. Also installed the 20# recoil spring and is as little tuff to pull the slide back, but doable. I can imagine with the 22# recoil spring got to be a pain. Still have to replace the firing pin spring with the kit one. More to come after testing. No ammo.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I put a 22# in my P-64. I use the "Israeli Method" to cycle the slide. You take the handgun in the shooting hand, grasp the slide in the other hand. "Punch" the handgun while holding on tight to the slide. Works like a charm.

Works best if you lower the handgun towards your belt and "punch" as the handgun passes your belt. Let the motion pass your crotch and release the slide when you feel it "jerk" at the end of travel.

This seems to be good biomechanics plus it keeps the handgun nearer to you. What you want to avoid is slinging the handgun "out there". Just isn't good practice.

Gene
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

juanace wrote:Still have to replace the firing pin spring with the kit one.
Take a moment to find the instructions here to "replace the safety". I lost the plunger for the safety detent and had to make a new one. You don't want this bother if you can avoid it.

Gene