"Loose" Safety

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
GeneCC

"Loose" Safety

Post by GeneCC »

While changing the firing pin spring I discovered that there is a spring loaded detent that holds the safety lever in place.

I managed to keep the spring but lost the plunger. I'll make a replacement.

What I did notice is that the safety becomes very "loose" once the detent plunger is gone.

So if some of you have a "loose" safety (really easy to turn) consider the following....

1. Field strip the firearm.
2. Place the slide assembly into a stout transparent plastic bag.
3. Locate the firing pin and its spring on the underside of the slide assembly.
4. Rotate the safety to "safe".
5. Press in on the firing pin with a punch.
6. Restrain the firing pin using a small thin screw driver
7. Gently start to ease the safety out of the slide. You may need to gently pry it.
8. When you have displaced the safety about a 1/16 of an inch (about 2mm) you can see the detent spring well. You may see the detent, which holds the safety into either the "fire" or "safe" position.
9. If there is nothing in the well (it'll be coaxial with the firing pin and when you're holding the slide upside down and looking in, it'll be to the right of the firing pin well) someone like me accidentally lost the spring and detent plunger.

A little hint from someone who messed up. Let's hope that some of you were more sensible and took your time taking it apart.
GeneCC

Re: "Loose" Safety

Post by GeneCC »

1. Took an 8D bright nail.
2. Using a dremel wheel I ground a rounded tip on the end.
3. Cut it off at about 4mm, leaving a small narrow piece to fit into the safety detent spring.

I did not bother to heat treat it at this time. I figure I'll get it figured out and put in the permanent heat treated one.

Installing the detent sure is tough. I'm going to hunt up what you guys who have "been there, done that" do to get those things installed.

The 4mm long detent gives a nice smooth safety, like an M-16 or AR-15. The downside of this is that at least once I had the piece go to safe during firing. Can't be having that.

I figure make one about 5 or 6 mm, do the torch thing, oil quench, clean and install. Life goes on.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I set the detent and spring in place. Then put the safety into the hole and butt it up against the detent. Then using a punch or standard screwdriver, I compress the detent while pushing the safety against the detent. For one, it kind of holds pressure on it so if the punch or screwdriver slips, the detent should not come flinging out. For two, it just seems to make it easy and once the detent is in far enough, the safety plops over it and everything falls into place. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

Thank you, Junius! Once I get some quality time in the kitchen - I cook with gas which will anneal/temper that piece fine - I'll use this to get it installed.

Gene
IWeld

Post by IWeld »

Gene and Junius, you guys are AWESOME! I've had my P64 for 4hrs now and noticed the safety/decocker was excessively loose. This is my first 9-18, or semi auto period. You've helped me ascertain the problem and the solution! Much obliged to you both.