Spring replaced - DA pull still bad

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
vincewarde

Spring replaced - DA pull still bad

Post by vincewarde »

I have replaced the mainspring and the single pull is fine now, but the double action pull is still very heavy right before it breaks. I know that some increased resistance before the trigger breaks is desirable, but this way past what is needed.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Spring replaced - DA pull still bad

Post by manicmechanic »

What pound spring did you put in?
vincewarde

Post by vincewarde »

It has been a while so I don't remember offhand which spring I put in. I got all three from Wolff and started with the lightest. It worked fine, so I left it in.

I even if a lighter mainspring were available I would not want to use it. The SA pull is long, but light now and I would not like to see it get any lighter.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

I recall installing an 18lb Wolff hammer spring in my '73, P-64. Stock recoil spring was retained. Measured SA pull was about 3.5lbs, measured DA pull was around 11lbs....still a long way from the 24.5lbs OEM trigger action.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Grow a muscle in your trigger finger.... :mrgreen:
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
archj

Post by archj »

you don't need to order replacement hammer springs, just cut off about two curles off original spring. Reduces DA pull and plenty of power to bust primer,
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

If you're comfortable cutting down the hammer spring, that's fine. Cut it down too much and you ruin it. If you buy a replacement then you're sure it's "right" and you still have your original.

Again, if you feel comfortable cutting down the spring, that's OK. Lots of people do. On the other hand, there's good reason to not cut it down as well.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
vincewarde

Post by vincewarde »

OK, without doing anything I actually shot the gun. I can actually pull it through DA and get hits - but with the light trigger pull I end up double tapping without trying to actually do so. Bottom line is that I have to do something about the SA trigger pull.

I think I will start by swapping in a heavier spring and see if that gets me a heavier SA pull.

Am I on the right track?
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Yes...tune it to your particular trigger finger.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

vince, are you saying you left it stock but you are double tapping in SA mode? I don't think a heavier mainspring is offered. For double tapping, you may have to change your shooting style with the P-64. I have the 17# which makes DA light and the SA ultralight and have not had any issues with double tapping.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

archj wrote:you don't need to order replacement hammer springs, just cut off about two curles off original spring. Reduces DA pull and plenty of power to bust primer,
If you wish to lighten a spring never ever cut it....sand/grind off the thickness (spring diameter) all up and down the spring. Uniform. It is easy and works much much better.
bil

Post by bil »

The Only Sarge wrote:
archj wrote:you don't need to order replacement hammer springs, just cut off about two curles off original spring. Reduces DA pull and plenty of power to bust primer,
If you wish to lighten a spring never ever cut it....sand/grind off the thickness (spring diameter) all up and down the spring. Uniform. It is easy and works much much better.
How do you sand/grind off a uniform thickness of the spring?
Tryin' to learn,
bil
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

This guy did an outstanding job of photo documenting a complete tear down of a CZ82. So firstly a shout out to him.
Scroll down and he lightens a spring the way I do it also. You can use sandpaper or whatever device(s) you have.
http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... art-2.html
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__lfEllzo3Ck/S ... IM2806.JPG