Plum to Black?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
rick9plus

Plum to Black?

Post by rick9plus »

My P-64 is kind of a plum (purplish) color (definitely not black). The plum color has never been a favorite of mine. What would be the best (or possibly easiest) way to change the color of the steel on my P-64 from plum to black?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plum to Black?

Post by dfunk »

That plum color is desirable to many. If you really don't like it, I'd sell it to get a regular blued specimen. Definitely don't do anything silly, like spray it.
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

Thanks for the response, dfunk. I definitely won't spray paint the pistol or try to reblue it a darker color! But your response causes me to inquire if anyone might be interested in trading for a non-plum version?

This is a very clean pistol (the FFL thought it was unissued). It has original springs and can even come with a pair of (slightly cracked) Marschal grips. I can get back to anyone with details (year, etc.) if they are interested in adding a plum variant to their P-64 collection.
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

Do you have pics?
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

I don't have any photos of the pistol. I could take some and email you photos along with specific details (manufacture date, etc.) if you are interested in a potential trade. PM me your email address of you want more info.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

rick9plus wrote:I don't have any photos of the pistol. I could take some and email you photos along with specific details (manufacture date, etc.) if you are interested in a potential trade. PM me your email address of you want more info.
I suggest you take the photos and list as a "for trade" in the "Buy, Sell, Trade" sub of this forum. Include details such as manufacture date, what you're looking to trade for, potential "buy it now" price, if you're willing to ship to FFL or insist on Face To Face transaction, and your location (ie: Dayton, OH).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
gloob

Post by gloob »

I was in the same boat. Parkerizing is very easy.

1. Clean up electropencil: stone flats of slides to remove import mark electropencil raised edges.
2. Remove original finish: Strip slide and/or frame. Dunk in diluted muriatic for a minute. Scrub with stainless steel wool. Repeat a couple times till the original finish is gone. Use a soft brass/copper brush to get around the sights. Be sure to brush out the red safety dot, as well.
3. Clean with dish soap and hot, hot water.
4. Put some parkerizing solution in a plastic container. Nuke it till its hot.
5. Put hot slide into park solution. Takes 5-10 min or so, or when the bubbles stop forming.
6. Rinse with hot tap water. Then immediately cover in oil and leave for several hours.

Cost: $16.00 for the solution, IIRC. A few bucks for the steel wool. I already had the muriatic. But that's only a few bucks, as well.

Mine came out a dark grey using zinc phosphate. Manganese phosphate solution is supposed to come out much darker, nearly black.