P83 vs P64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
fknipfer1

P83 vs P64

Post by fknipfer1 »

I really can see why the Poles went to a P83 and dropped the P64. (No one get mad as this is just my opinion). The double action trigger is even atrocious with a 18,19, 20# hammer spring in it, and the SA mode disappears with hammer spring when it is below 20#'s on the one I have. Hair trigger is what you call it. This could be an excellent CCW carry as it is easy to conceal. No easy solutions unless some on could re-engineer the trigger and sear system. But you would have to have ATF approval for that.

I have only had mine for three days and now am looking to trade if off for a Czeck gun say CZ75 or CZ82. Its not a bad gun for someone who likes them or as a collectible item but its not for me. I already have a P83.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P83 vs P64

Post by juniustaylor »

You just don't like the old P64 huh? :D If you do trade it, either of those CZ's would be nice. The 75 is a real slick looking gun. I don't think you had a chance to shoot my 82 that I recall. I don't know the going rates on the CZ75 but if you could get what you paid for on the P64, you could pretty well get a CZ82 for about the same price. Aim Surplus doesn't seem to have it in stock anymore. Bullseye probably still has that one for sale that I asked them about several months ago and they wouldn't budge on their ridiculous price. Maybe now you can talk them down if they haven't sold it.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I think I will pull the trigger DA 1000 times to see if that loosens anything up. I have already done 100 times so only 900 to go. I took a look at those 93gr Missouri Cast 9X18mm LRN .365 bullets I loaded and will go out and shoot them next week. I loaded 10ea 3.2, 10ea 3.3, 10ea 3.4, 10ea 3.5 and finally 10ea 3.6grs of W231. Looks like a good round for the P64 but don't know yet. If you still lived around here we could go together and have some shooting fun. Oh well I just have to take Kenny Miller or Les my other shooting buddy. I think I will work on the P64 before I get rid of it but whatever I do will have to be first class and safe.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

You may want to be careful on repeated dry fire. You risk the chance of breaking the safety.

I got 20 rounds of 7.62x54 ammo loaded up. I sent you an email. Too bad I didn't live there, we sure could go out and try out our loads. I do hope yours and mine will shoot well.

Wishing I had more money, there's a rifle at the Wally World that I'd like to buy. It's a Savage Edge. I think I'd like to get it in .223 but I don't know how useful that cartridge would be to me. I don't really have any tiny, mild calibers. .243 is the smallest I have. However, I don't really need any larger calibers. So, I'd kind of like a .223. They sell for $267 which is enticing. No real bad reviews other than the trigger pull is somewhat heavy, however, I'm used to shooting anything with a rough/stiff trigger and shooting it very well.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
gloob

Post by gloob »

I think everyone goes through the sore trigger finger the day after buying one. But it smooths out over time.

I have 3 DA/SA pistols and a Smith 686 revolver. My favorite DA trigger pull is the one on my stock P64. It's the heaviest, but the smoothest. Smoother even than the SA pull. And after it stacks to the gazillion pound mark, it breaks cleanly with little further movement. Sorta like a double stage Glock trigger, only much heavier - you can stage the trigger to the break point, then just squeeze it off (once it's smoothed in! At first, if you try to stage it, you'll think the gun is broken!)

Another thing about the gun that bothered me, at first, is the transition from DA to SA. Now I have to say I admire it. The stacking/break point of the DA trigger is quite similar to the stack/break point of the SA trigger.
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I have a CZ82 I will consider trading for your gun. My CZ82 is in great internal condition, not so great external condition. It was refinished with a crappy black epoxy, which rubbed off at the muzzle when carried. But it has two magazines, an original army holster (holds the extra magazine and the cleaning rod, included). What is the internal\external condition of your gun? Does it have a second magazine?

Thanks,
Lynn Circle
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

Has anyone fired a P83? If so, how does the accuracy, durability, and trigger compare to the P64? I know that J&G have some so-so P64s right now, but for the same price this month I can get a P83 from SOG. Opinions would be welcomed.

Thank you,
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

The P83 is a very functional pistol and it does not suffer the problem of the heavy DA trigger pull with the stock spring. It is made from stamped metal and is nowhere near as nice of a looking pistol as the P64 but quite shootable.

NRA Life Member