p64 need help bad any experts who can help..........

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
bigdog84

p64 need help bad any experts who can help..........

Post by bigdog84 »

got a p64 funny thing is it dont take 9x18 wen it clearly states on slide guy musta put a 380 barrel cuz 380 goes in fine...
my problem i can dry fire all day long if i wanted to but as soon as i put mag in and cock it it will not firer meaning the trigger goes all the way back like the safety is on i try fliping the safty a few times same thing un til i take mag out and decock it then it will dry fire any thoughts what the problem is?i got a pa63 and love it more then my glock hk golani whatever its the best
only god can judge me..................
darrell

Re: p64 need help bad any experts who can help..........

Post by darrell »

Check and see if the slide is going all the way back, usually what happens is the slide is about 1/8 inch away from all the way back. This causes the trigger not to reset. The cure as it is with 90% of the problems is you need to do a really, really deep cleaning. I cleaned mine 3 or 4 times. Try this and see if it doesn't fix the problem. If not email some like Norm Sutton.
bigdog84

Post by bigdog84 »

its soaking now...any idia bout the barrel 9x18 rits the mag then i cock it and it jams at an angle so that wen i tried 380 went in fine shot fine but cant get it to shoot again the slide is all the way back like i said i got a pa63 so im pretty familular with taking it apart and back together i read on here some other guy was having same problem as i am minus the 380 problem
kansas

Post by kansas »

Strange on the 380 barrel, I haven't seen a p-64 with one. almost sounds like the mag is getting to far in (just guessing here) or a spring issue.... Sorry not much help with this one.
truecrimson

Post by truecrimson »

I have a somewhat similar but not identical problem, if I'm understanding your's correctly. With mine everything works fine when dry firing, and everything even works fine single action. But when I chamber a round, or even an empty case, and drop the hammer the gun won't fire double action. The trigger can be pulled all of the way back and it never seems to engage. It's like the safety is on, but it's not. I've looked to make sure the trigger bar is coming back up once the safety is disengaged, and it is. But if I manually cock the hammer then it works single action.

I've thoroughly cleaned it multiple times , including an over night soak in mineral spirits. I've cleaned the chamber with acetone and a .45 caliber brush a couple of times to make sure there is no laquer(sp?) build up. I'm going to clean the chamber a couple of more times with acetone before moving on to looking at the part that engages the trigger bar.

IIRC correctly there was a thread around here somewhere about cutting a notch a little deeper because it became worn down. Meanwhile since it isn't my main carry gun I just use it single action.
bigdog84

Post by bigdog84 »

truecrimson wrote:I have a somewhat similar but not identical problem, if I'm understanding your's correctly. With mine everything works fine when dry firing, and everything even works fine single action. But when I chamber a round, or even an empty case, and drop the hammer the gun won't fire double action. The trigger can be pulled all of the way back and it never seems to engage. It's like the safety is on, but it's not. I've looked to make sure the trigger bar is coming back up once the safety is disengaged, and it is. But if I manually cock the hammer then it works single action.

I've thoroughly cleaned it multiple times , including an over night soak in mineral spirits. I've cleaned the chamber with acetone and a .45 caliber brush a couple of times to make sure there is no laquer(sp?) build up. I'm going to clean the chamber a couple of more times with acetone before moving on to looking at the part that engages the trigger bar.

IIRC correctly there was a thread around here somewhere about cutting a notch a little deeper because it became worn down. Meanwhile since it isn't my main carry gun I just use it single action.
darrell

Post by darrell »

I think that after you clean it thoroughly it will work. Mine jammed just like yours and cleaning and putting rounds through it was the cure. Mine would jam at a 45 degree angle and all of times slide would not go all the way forward and the tigger wouldn't reset so you could pull the trigger and nothing would happen. I had to thorough clean it several times with CLP but it finally works great.
bigdog84

Post by bigdog84 »

just let it soak all night cleaned and lubed still nothing
darrell

Post by darrell »

You probably need to email Norm Sutton or some like that you have taken these apart and worked on them a lot he might be able to help you.
bigdog84

Post by bigdog84 »

ok after a week i finally found the problem wen the mag is out i can dry fire all day long as soon as i put the mag in no matter what i do the trigger goes back like the saftey is on so what is happining everytime i push the mag up it some how hits or rubs against something that keeps the safty on if i hit the slide with my hand it pops back and it works fine.....but id have to do that everytime i want to shoot it can someone help me and tell me what part i need to replace?im not to good with knowlage of guns and thier parts what ever the part is it must b on the inside wen i push my mag up it hits something that sets off my safty..any ideas what part would be conected to the safty thanks for any input im just glad i found the problem for the other guys who were having the same prob while its loaded hit the side of the slide with ur open hand and it should release that part thats interfering with the safty.thank god and of coarse shoots like a charm these guns are my absolute favorite i got glocks hks hipoints aks ars shotguns and by far my pa63 is my favorite and carry piece and this one is right behind only down fall with this that i hate compared tp the pa63 is the p64 the mag realese is on the bottom with the pa63 the mag realese is near the trigger and u just push the botton and the mag falls out wouldnt want to b in a gun fight with the p64 if i had to change out my mags alot lol thanks u guys for any input u gave me guz with out ur input i wuld have never found the problem
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I'm no expert but I had a problem with my gun not going off safe and the loaded chamber indicator not being out all the way. Cleaning took care of this as the slide wasn't going all the way back.

These are neat little guns. I bought one that was made the same year I was born, 1969, I don't know how bright I am to carry a 42 year old gun for self defense but I know it is reliable at the range.

Frankly If I get in a gun fight I plan to empty my gun then run. Maybe after the running is over I might put my spare mag in if I'm still alive.

Good news is I read a book one time about gunfights and I think the average number of shots fired in a gun fight is 2 and the average range is 10 feet. I might be able to handle that if the pucker factor doesn't get me, hopefully I just won't think and I will just do.

As to your gun, there is always the option of looking at purchasing another p-64-- they can still be had for about 200 bucks with 2 mags and you can buy any number of those and still be spending less than one premium gun of todays manufacture. Also you can get the steel brown bear for about 10 bucks for 50 shipped so these are some of the most economical guns to shoot.

Good luck with yours.
truecrimson

Post by truecrimson »

Got a set of calipers today and decided to pull out my still SAO P-64 and take some measurements. The Brown Bear empty cases, and the unfired rounds measure +/- 18mm case length (17.89-18.09 depending on operator steadiness).

And then I decided to check the chamber. It measures +/- 14mm. I'm kind of at a loss about what, if anything, to do next to fix it.

It has been cleaned and acetoned to no end. It works great SA. I would like it to work DA, but it may be beyond my abilities at this time.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I read this last post of yours and have a couple of questions...

Can you isolate this to the frame only? Does the problem repeat itself without the slide on the gun?
Have you taken the grips off to observe the trigger bar where it links with the bottom of the hammer?
Does the rear of the trigger bar have a little shelf that grabs the hammer? The little shelf is so shallow, if the trigger bar isn't all the way in the up position, I could see how it could miss the hammer and thus not doing anything in DA mode.

I have a feeling that maybe the trigger bar ledge is worn too shallow or the hammer hook has been messed with. Both would be an easy fix with a new part if you don't want to try to alter the current parts.