Take down lever/trigger guard

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
csp

Take down lever/trigger guard

Post by csp »

I have a question about the take down lever/trigger guard...

How easy should it be to pull it down and lock it to the side?

I wish mine was just a little bit stiffer.

I dont mind the spring being a little soft when I take the pistol apart but it seems that, for safety's sake, it should take some force to pull it down to reduce the possibility of fireing with it in the down position.

This begs the question: has anyone fired their P-64 with the takedown lever pulled out? If so what happened?!? Did you live to tell about it? Do you still have all your fingers, nose and eyes?

Seriously - Will the pistol come flying apart if it's fired with the takedown lever/trigger guard pulled out?
45collector

Re: Take down lever/trigger guard

Post by 45collector »

I would imagine that if the gun were fired with the trigger guard pulled down, the slide would probably just overtravel a bit (possibly damaging it but who knows.) I don't think the slide would kick up and off the rails because while the gun is recoiling, it's moving upwards and therefor the slide should stay snug against the receiver, no? At any rate, I'm not going to be the one to try it! ;)
csp

Post by csp »

Well some one fore one off with the take down lever pulled out and let me know what happens. Mean while how light is the spring on your takedown lever. Iwould you say it is pretty snug or light? for a frame of reference I would say mine is maybe a quarter of the tension of the double action pull on the trigger.
soram

Post by soram »

All three of mine are pretty tight on the take down [trigger guard] spring. I have totally stripped all three of them down to the very last part and thoroughly cleaned them when I got them. The trigger guard spring on the very first one was so hard (almost requiring three hands of pressure) to reinstall that those are the ONLY parts I didn't strip down on the following two guns!

Shooting the P-64 with the trigger guard open would most likely be disastrous and result at the very least in your slide flying off, breaking, and/or damaging your barrel. Not to mention personal injury. :shock: I wouldn't try it.

Ross
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

the [trigger guard] spring is the same dia spring as the hammer spring if its to light you might change it out with your hammer spring, if I remember right its also the same length ,in fact I think its the same spring, been a long time since I had any of mine apart,

there is a tread on taking the trigger guard off (do not just drive the pin out )

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
soram

Post by soram »

normsutton wrote:...the [trigger guard] spring is the same dia spring as the hammer spring if its to light you might change it out with your hammer spring, if I remember right its also the same length ,in fact I think its the same spring, been a long time since I had any of mine apart...
I agree Norm, except that looking at the PARTS LIST #10 & #14, the trigger guard spring (#14) looks to be about half the length. Otherwise it does look like the same spring.

Ross