Rough DA pull -Update

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
JAGGUY

Rough DA pull -Update

Post by JAGGUY »

I noticed the DA trigger pull is very rough on my latest P64 compared to my other one. I have tracked it down to where the disconnector contacts the trigger bar. The trigger bar is roughly machined in that spot and when the disconnector slides on it, it drags and skips badly.
It seems like this is a critical area to mess around with smoothing the surface where the disconnector and trigger bar interact. I think almost any metal removal there will cause problems. The machining marks would need to be removed and just polishing them really won't get rid of the problem.
Any thoughts on how critical this area is would be appreciated.
Thanks, -greg
Last edited by JAGGUY on August 9th, 2010, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAGGUY

Re: Rough DA pull -Update

Post by JAGGUY »

Ok, I thought about this for a while, and since I didn't want to get too drastic with it I put a little valve grinding compound on the problem area and dry-fired it a few hundred times. Smooth as glass after cleaning it up good and seems to have no problem resetting the trigger. Easy and safer than using tools. Just thought I would share.
-greg
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

JAGGUY

you probably could use powdered graphite , and get the same results , and it will lubricate it all at once

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

normsutton wrote:JAGGUY

you probably could use powdered graphite , and get the same results , and it will lubricate it all at once

NORM
Doubt it, the trigger bar at that point had some deep striations that really dragged across the disconnector, at least it would have taken forever for it to smooth out with the graphite. It's quite smooth now but I might use some jewelers rouge to get it even smoother.
-greg
gloob

Post by gloob »

FYI, I messed around with these parts, too. And I found out what happens when you get carried away. The first thing that happens is your gun can fire out of battery, so you might wanna test that.

I was able to braze a piece of brass onto the end of the disconnector, so all is well, again.
Huff

Post by Huff »

JAGGUY wrote:Ok, I thought about this for a while, and since I didn't want to get too drastic with it I put a little valve grinding compound on the problem area and dry-fired it a few hundred times. Smooth as glass after cleaning it up good and seems to have no problem resetting the trigger. Easy and safer than using tools. Just thought I would share.
-greg
Thanks JAGGUY, I will try that as mine has the same problem. DA is unusable and may be the cause of some broken trigger bars we are hearing about. I am going to try the valve compound as I have used it on other stuff, even valves :lol:
huff
Huff

Post by Huff »

I field stripped and looked at the disconnector where it contacts the trigger bar and cannot see how that can cause the problem I am having. I can pull the disconnector away from the bar and it makes no difference. Just looking at mine it seems to be in the design of the gun and I can see no way tofix it.
I have a 17lb spring arriving tomorrow but I don't think that will do it either.
I am resigned to SA only with this gun.
huff
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Man, I would not mess around with it much. Unless your a trained gunsmith who knows what he is doing, you just might ruin your pistol. JMHO.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.