Gun won't fire in DA

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
dhan

Re: Gun won't fire in DA

Post by dhan »

Thanks to all that submitted ideas on solving the Double Action Problem. I had changed springs, Cleaned to no avail. After reading the various posts, I did a super Cleaning, also got Silver Bear 9X18. I had tried Wolf. It works fine in my CZ82, but refused to function in my P64. Problems Solved! Thanks Everyone.

DHan
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I'll try the lubrication. It sure beats taking the hammer spring out again! <GRIN>
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

OK, I took the grips off (again) and carefully examined the action. The mainspring really does not seem to have anything to do with this. The only spring force seems to come from the little hammer spring. OK, I lubricated everything well, using MPro7 liquid lubricant. The ONLY thing I could discover is that there is a little shoulder on the right-hand side trigger bar, and the disconnect sits on top of it. I suspect the little shoulder is either worn or (since the gun otherwise seems unissued) was defective to begin with. I also lubricated the right-hand inner slide to see if it was somehow putting too much pressure on the disconnect.

No joy; same symptoms. With no round in the the chamber, it SEEMS as if I can push the slide back about a quarter of an inch before the disconnect kicks in, and certainly a chambered round isn't going to cause it to go THAT far back. I cannot see any difference between the small amount of barrel protruding from the slide before and after chambering a round.

One idea. On my next range trip, I'll fire the first round SA, then drop the hammer and see if the trigger is disconnected. If it is not, then I will know that I am somehow not letting the slide slam shut enough when I rack it for the first round. But truth to tell, I do not expect the DA to work on the second round either. I suspect the trigger bar on the right needs to be replaced or have a slightly deeper notch filed into it, but I am not about to try THAT on my own.

Any other ideas, guys?

Thanks, all.
LynnKCircle

Re: Gun won't fire in DA PS

Post by LynnKCircle »

Tried it without the spring. With a round chambered and the slide rammed as far forward as possible -- same problem. OK, now that my finger nails are due to be trimmed, I can actually tell that the barrel extends about one finger nail thickness further when a round is in than when it is out. So, the issue isn't the spring or the disconnector or the right hand trigger bar. It has to be somethink like the bolt face isn't quite deep enough. It probably wasn't quite cut to specs. OK, I'm done with this; there isn't any more I can do. But I still really like the gun.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

I would be more inclined to think the round is NOT seating all the way in the chamber.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

Is the cartridge indicator aligned properly on the bolt face?

NRA Life Member

LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I do not know about that. But the cartridge indicator does stick out the back the way it should when a cartridge is chambered. I field stripped the gun and put a cartridge in the chamber. It DID look to me as if the cartridge body was sticking out about 1/16 of an inch too far. When I examined the chamber carefully, it looks new; there is no metal buildup or anything like that which would prevent the cartridge from fully chambering. BUT in all my other handguns, the interface between the barrel and the chamber is smooth; in this gun there is the definite sharp shoulder of the barrel where it is screwed into the chamber. There appears to have been no attempt to chamfer the barrel so that it smoothly becomes one with the chamber. I suspect that is why the cartridge chambers fully enough to fire safely, but not QUITE fully enough for the trigger disconnect not to be activated.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Since these headspace on the case mouth you need to measure the depth from the ridge in the chamber to the back of the chamber.

If someone else who does not have this problem would do so as well that would give us a baseline to work from.

I will do so as soon as my P64 arrives early next week. However it should not be any different than a CZ82

Also you need to look in the chamber esp at the ridge where the cartridge case headspaces and see if there are any burrs or baked on cosmoline that could be impeding the case seating correctly.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."