recoil pain

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Shuga

recoil pain

Post by Shuga »

Any suggestions on if there is a way to add a "bumper" to the gun so that the recoil doesn't bite back on the lower knuckle of my thumb so bad? I'm thinking it has something to do with the small size of the grips but I can't do anything about them. This is the only drawback I've found besides the safety moving when I fire (but I did find a thread about how to fix that little problem).
Thanks
mikana

Re: recoil pain

Post by mikana »

Shuga,

I get a little rub on the web between my forefinger and my thumb due to "beefy" hands. If it's hitting the lower knuckle of you thumb, looks to my like you might want to grip it a little deeper. That knuckle shouldn't be behind the slide, but to the side (like 7 or 8 o'clock) of it. A pic of where it's hitting you might help.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

I use a Hogue or cross creek grip sleeve to ease the recoil pain. I noticed the stock recoil spring give me less recoil slam than a stronger Wolff recoil spring.

Of course, YMMV.
Shuga

Post by Shuga »

My knuckle is a bit off to the side at about 7 o'clock but the gun jumps just enough that it still catches there. I might try some Pachmayr slip on grips like I have on my Sigma though. Not sure if it will go up high enough but it's worth a try I guess. I also use gloves while shooting to stop the skin from getting red and sore. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes.
mikana

Post by mikana »

Sounds good! I think I'll try some biking gloves I have to get rid of the rub when I shoot. I am resisting the slip on grips because I pocket carry and don't want the extra bulk.
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I've found that a cutdown Hogue rubber slip on did wonders to tame the recoil.
Shuga

Post by Shuga »

I haven't tried those. Maybe I'll check them out too. Thanks
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Shuga, nix on the rubber grips if you carry on your body.
Comments all over the net regarding rust under Hogue or similar grips starting under the rubber, sweat and body oils get every where. No such reports if you carry in a holster, bag, purse, etc..
A better fix would be replacing the recoil spring with a Wolff gunsprings increased weight recoil spring. This is a $8.00 to $10.00 fix, just replace the spring when you do your next cleaning. You may also choose to replace the firing pin spring that comes with your purchase. I would suggest some range time with the altered recoil spring to eleminate the possibillity of slam fires priore to carrying, a simple but importent requirement to see if it is necessary to replace the firing pin spring.
If you need to replace the firing pin spring, NORMSUTTON would be happy to help you over the phone, he enjoys helping any one from the forum who gives him a call.
Good shooting to you!
G.R.
Shuga

Post by Shuga »

Thanks Gunney.
I'm not going to use this gun as my carry so I'm not too worried about the rubber grips.
I did buy new springs but haven't had a chance to change them out yet....trust me, if I seem to be having too much trouble, I'm getting a hold of Norm as fast as possible.... lol
Shuga
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I actually sanded my grips to make the place where they meet smooth. Then I sanded my gun to smooth out the rough edges. Then I cold blued it.

I would go to the range and put 100 rounds through it and be bleeding when I was finished. After I smoothed everything I stopped bleeding. Still sure know you have been shooting but not bleeding was a big improvement.
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

I'm familiar with the skint thumb knuckle. I have fat hands and short fingers. The only way I can get my fingertip solidly on the trigger puts the slide too close to my knuckle.

I had a shooting instructor tell me shoot a magazine or two left handed during a session. It lets your right hand recover a little between beatings and improves your ability to shoot left handed if necessary. That works for me.
45collector

Post by 45collector »

I've noticed the P64 jabs at the hand a bit more than other small autos it's size. I like the gun but it still feels odd in my hand. I don't like the stock grips very much. I've put a Hogue Handall sleeve over it and that seems to help a bit. This time of year I'm always wearing nice leather shooting gloves at the range so that takes some of the battering away.
Shuga

Post by Shuga »

I really like the pachmeyer slip on grips on my Sigma. Looking for some for this one too.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I put 100 rounds through my p-64 today. Didn't bleed just had a circle of sleightly torn skin on my right thumb.

Damn gun hurts your hand if you put 100 rounds through it.
BMW2

Post by BMW2 »

Padded grip tape, like you'd use on a tennis racket or bat grip, works pretty good and is adhesive so it won't shift around like the slip on grips.