Won't fire double action.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
hardcorekeith

Re: Won't fire double action.

Post by hardcorekeith »

I tried but I can't get a clear photo of such small parts. My digital camera is so old you have to duck under a black curtain and squeeze a bulb to use it.

Anyway, even holding the two trigger bars and the two hammers up against each other, the difference is perhaps a tenth of a millimeter, but after giving myself carpal tunnel from repeatedly squeezing the trigger while I watch closely, this seems to be the area that's causing the difference in operation of the triggers between the two guns. If I had a day to waste I'd swap parts between the guns and confirm but instead I'm just going to try to send back the '68.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

Oh, one thing I did try was swapping trigger return springs, in case there wasn't enough upward pressure on the trigger bar. That didn't help -- as a matter of fact, the '68 already had the stronger spring in it.

Edited to add: I swapped back to all original parts and I think I've figured out the puzzle. I noticed that the original recoil spring was extremely light, whereas the mainspring in this one is even heavier than my other stock-sprung P64s. I imagine this may have been added to try to rectify the issue of the short-stroking hammer. Then, after that, the gun wasn't able to cock the hammer while cycling, so they went to a lighter recoil spring to increase slide velocity.
kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

Hardcore Keith,
now that you think you have it figured out, do you have a solution to fix the problem? I could sure use one.

Fred
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

I'm not going to mess with it because I'm just going to try to return it for another one.

If however this turns out not to be an option, probably what I would do is
1. replace trigger return spring with strongest one possible for maximum upward pressure on the trigger bar
2. carefully file on the trigger bar and/or hammer to create a larger contact point between the two, which would hopefully cause the hammer to be cocked back further before slipping off
Gil

Post by Gil »

Hello All
First real post... Im having the same issue with mine(I think) its a 1970 mod. (factory springs) It started acting up yesterday at the range I was using Brown Bear ammo, silver Bear and Mesko surplus and it seemed to be fine.. (especially with the Mesko)My buddy loaded some of his Wolf ammo in the mag, installed it and closed the slide, then used the decocker to lower the hammer shooting DA the round failed to go off so we checked the primer and no mark.
I started checking the gun more closely with brown bear and it did not act up again for about another 20 min.. with the brown bear. I took it home and installed a 22lb recoil spring and a 19lb hammer spring took it back out and it acted up again with the new springs. (so I dont think its spring related)
This gun was completly detailed striped and cleaned before it was shot the first time it has about 160rds thru it now. (Any ideas ?) Id like to depend on this gun for carry its nice and small. Im not at the liberty of just sending it back I bought it unissued Like new from a friend so I am gonna have to fix it myself.
Lots of Great info here I was able to dissassemble my safety to clean everything from reading a lot of the threads here.

gil.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Gil
the first thing you did wrong is using Wolf ammo in a P-64 that there aren't any parts for, not enough info on your part

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Gil

Post by Gil »

Hello Normsutton
So whats the deal with Wolf ammo.. .. I did a search and didnt find anything :oops:

What other info do you need??

gil.

EDIT: OK finally found the post about the burnt firing pins and blown out extractors using Wolf ammo. ( I did not know this) :oops:
I only shot about 4 rounds of Wolf so I hope I should be ok.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Gil

ok
does the hammer come back and fall when you pull the trigger
or does the trigger doesn't seem to work any thing

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Gil

Post by Gil »

Good Morning Normsutton
Yes the hammer comes back and falls everytime and the gun will fire and function -only once in a while will the gun act up and its only when the gun is loaded slide closed then the decocker is used drop the hammer then safety is moved back to fire mode.. trigger is then pulled DA -hammer comes back and falls but does not fire with no mark on primer at all. If trigger is pulled again gun will fire. (to weird)

gil.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Gil

clean the gun again make sure you only put grease on the rails of the gun , clean the chamber with acetone, to get out any built up lacquer from shooting steel ammo

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Gil

Post by Gil »

Thanks for the reply Normsutton
I will clean again...

Question: Did the Polish Military use nothing but brass ammo ? because the Mesko Polish surplus Ive been using is steel case also.

gil..
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Gil

they use steel, lacquer cases, and after a while the lacquer builds up in them
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

I figured out the official Polish armorer solution to this issue. My '75 had had it done.

I can't get a picture of it, so I drew a picture. This is part #21, the trigger bar, specifically the face of it where it contacts the bottom of the hammer. The black parts indicate where the ledge was dremeled in, approximately 1.5mm additional. This gun operates correctly in double action mode, cocking the hammer back about 2/3 of the way.
Attachments
triggerbar.PNG
erich

Post by erich »

Just wanted to say hello to Gil, a friend whom I know personally and am glad to see here.
kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

Hardcore Keith, have you tried performing this modification to the gun that wouldn't fire in double action, and did it work?

Fred