Won't fire double action.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
kleared2land

Won't fire double action.

Post by kleared2land »

I replaced the hammer spring with a Wolf 17 pound hammer spring when I first got my P-64, so I never tried firing it with the 24 lb factory spring. When I took it to the range, it would not fire in double action. I then ordered the spring pack from Wolf that has several different springs. I replaced the 17 lb spring with a 19 lb spring. I took it to the range this past weekend and sure enough it will not fire in double action, only single action. I also tried two different brands of ammo. Do you think putting the factory 24 lb spring will solve the problem, or is there maybe something else wrong with the gun?

Fred
DocCasualty

Re: Won't fire double action.

Post by DocCasualty »

When you say it won't fire in DA, exactly what is it doing? Are you able to pull the trigger completely in DA mode and does the hammer cock, not cock, not fall? Or do the hammer and trigger go through the full cycle and not strike the primer hard enough to ignite the round?

Norm and the other experts will weigh in shortly, but I'm not sure I understand which problem you are experiencing.

NRA Life Member

kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

the trigger appears to be working normally. the hammer comes back, and then falls, but appears to not strike the primer hard enough to ignite it. Hammer travel prior to falling appears to be about half as far as when it is fully cocked for single action.

Fred
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The hammer in double action will not come back as far as it does in single action. Give the 24# a try. What brand of ammo are you using? Wolf ammo tends to have hard primers IIRC. Does the firing pin even dimple the primer at all? You'll probably get chastized for even using a 17# spring even though I use it with no defects as have others on this board. Do a quick look and function check and make sure the hammer and linkages move freely without binding. CLEAN the gun very well if you haven't already. Completely disassemble it, if you are capable, and give a good cleaning. Often folks submerge the parts in mineral spirits for a while and it seems to clean out the cosmoline from hard to reach areas. Put it back together with small amounts of gun grease on rubbing parts. Not globs, just a surface film on them is sufficient.
Last edited by juniustaylor on June 1st, 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Fred

try the original hammer spring , also what kind of ammo , check your firing pin , dose it push out all the way with the slide off

and did you clean the gun before you ever took it to the range,
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

I suggest a good firing chamber AND round indicator chamber cleaning is necessary as first step. Then try a 17 or 18LB hammer spring, along with Russian Bear FMJ or JHP ammo.

18LB hammer spring in my 1973 specimen gives me 3.4 LB SA pull and a 11 LB DA pull.
kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

thanks for the responses. to answer a few questions:

the gun was disassembled, cleaned, and oiled by the firearms instructor at work, who also installed the Wolf springs for me.

I don't know if the DA attempted firing dimpled the primer, I didn't think to check, I just fired the rounds single action.

I tried Brown Bear in the laquered steel casings, and another brand I don't remember off hand in brass casings.

I brought the gun in to work again today, along with the factory 24# spring, and the firearms instructor here is going to take a look at it again.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Fred
kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

sorry for the delay on this post. I finally got the gun to the range this weekend. It currently has the original 24# factory spring. It still will not fire in double action. the hammer comes back, then falls, but evidently with not enough force to fire the primer. I was using Brown Bear FMJ in the steel casing. The primers appear to have a very light marking where the firing pin struck, but no significant dimple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fred
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Fred

PM sent

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

Any success on this issue? My '68 is doing the same thing. In double action the hammer isn't coming back far enough to ignite the primer. My two '70s are both fine though. I thoroughly de-cosmoed before shooting. Any suggestions I should try before I see about sending it back?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

hardcorekeith
PM SENT

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Could the firing pins be obstructed from moving freely somehow?
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

Firing pin seems fine.

After a lot of study, it seems the issue is that the trigger bar and hammer are both worn down at the spots where they contact each other. The trigger bar has a little ledge on it that hooks onto the bottom of the hammer. At some point when it's rotated sufficiently far in double action mode the hammer slips off the ledge on the trigger bar and is released. Both that ledge and the hook on the hammer itself have worn down such that it slips off much earlier than it should, resulting in pathetic primer strikes in DA mode.

I'm afraid I may have to try to send that one back to SOG.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

hardcorekeith

thanks for you posting this any pix

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

hardcore Keith thanks for the input. Ibelieve mine is a 1969. I'll have to check this when I get home, as I am currently out of town for a few days. The thing is, my firearms instructor at work when he cleaned and inspected it said it looked like it had been fired little or not at all because showed no signs of wear on the rails.

Fred