wrap around grips for a p-64?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jebib3

wrap around grips for a p-64?

Post by jebib3 »

I have a p-64 that I would like to have a little more girth. I purchased a hogue wrap around grip and it worked fine. Only problem was the first time I removed it, it split. It got me to thinking was there any leather or composite product that one could actually wrap around the grips, that could be removed and re-wrapped. I've checked golf sites, and archery sites and am stymied. Any suggestions? I'd sure apreciate it. bib
hvacken

Re: wrap around grips for a p-64?

Post by hvacken »

Maybe buy a couple spare Hogue grips. Someone on here suggested spraying some WD40 on it when installing and removing it. I put one on my P64 btw, and don't plan on taking it off unless i absolutely have to.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

just an fyi but wd40 will eat rubber and silacone products. it may work great, but its chancey in the long run
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

You can use olive oil.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

dfunk wrote:You can use olive oil.
:D
jebib3

answering my own question?

Post by jebib3 »

I purchased a replacement grip (leather) for a baseball bat. It may be a little too much for a p-64 as the girth may be too wide. I'll test that this week at the range. But........... as far as getting a good hold of the handle that is no longer a problem. In as much as they are made with leather I imagine that if circumstances dictate that I pull it to take the grips off it should not be a problem to re-apply. And while on this perhaps unusual subject racquet grips appear to be not as think which may make for a better overall use. I guess I would ask the expert Mr. Funk what he thinks about this subject in general?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I'm not expert by any stretch. I'd be curious to see a photo of what you have going on.
insignificant

Post by insignificant »

I put my grip into boiling water for a minute before installing. Seemed to go on a little easier after that.
hvacken

Post by hvacken »

mellisallen wrote:just an fyi but wd40 will eat rubber and silacone products. it may work great, but its chancey in the long run

Actually I think that's pretty much an urban myth... WD40 is a petroleum based product.

From the WD-40 website:
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a98

Actually, I really don't care for WD-40 myself.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

not to get picky but wd40 being a petrolium product will eat away at another petroilum product (rubber) as it works as a solvent, ive seen it first hand, though i dont know the chemical makeup of the grips in question....so this all may be a moot point :D
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

I have used Brooks Tactical "A-Grip" on a couple of my other pistols with great results. It sticks on solid and they say it's okay to remove and reapply (though I haven't needed to on either of mine so far). Its not super thick but it does add a bit more girth and I really like the feel of the material. It's soft and tactile at the same time. My primary carry gun used to rub a red spot on my side but now I can carry all day and experience no discomfort.
nametrux

Post by nametrux »

I cut piece of bike tube and slipped it on my P64. It helped but didn't build it up very much. OK for me as my hands aren't very large. I guess I'm showing my age but how many here used the old friction tape we used to wrap around our baseballs when the covers wore off? That would work on your hand gun and you could build it up as thick as you wanted it. It would give a nice nonstick surface like we got on the baseballs. On the real hot days of summer and they get too sticky , just pick up a hand full of dust and work it in, and you're good to go. I guess it would protect the original grips as well, only there would be that nasty tape residue when it is removed.