P64 stuck slide

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ca49015

P64 stuck slide

Post by ca49015 »

Don't know if this has already been addressed, but i took apart my P64 that i jsut picked up at a gun show and fully dissambled it to give it a through cleaning. I got it all put back together but when i was putting the slide back on, it got stuck in the locked postion and i cant move it. Any ideas on how to fix it?
stover

Re: P64 stuck slide

Post by stover »

Just guessing but:
If you insert an empty magazine and pull back the slide it should stay open, remove the magazine, pull the slide back and release to let it go home. If this doesn't work something is bound or you have a spring issue.
Remove any magazine. Pull the trigger guard down and push it to the side. Pull the slide back and up then slide it off the front. Make sure your recoil spring is all the way on the barrel and that the trigger pin on the left side is pushed in. Pull the slide stop, on the left side up slightly and release it, it should go back sown on it's own. If it doesn't you have a spring issue. I believe the trigger spring also pushes down the slide stop. If this is an issue you can buy one from Norm just search the board. If not: Make sure hammer is cocked, slide the slide back on as you took it off and then put the trigger guard back in place. It should work now. Slide should: lock back on an empty mag and go home when the slide is pulled back and released without a magazine or a full magazine is in place.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm going with stover's theory of the magazine being installed. That seems to be the most likely one. I've done that as well and thought for a couple seconds and then the light kicked on. Removed magazine, worked like a champ. If it's not that, then follow the rest of stover's ideas.
stover wrote:I believe the trigger spring also pushes down the slide stop.
The trigger spring does not push down on the slide stop. It is its own separate spring, looks like an angle/triangle shape.
stover

Post by stover »

Where to get the springs just in case:

http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
ca49015

Post by ca49015 »

after a couple of days of trying i just said f it and used a screwdriver for leverage and poped it out.
stover

Post by stover »

does it function as designed now?
ca49015

Post by ca49015 »

After I put it back together again it does. still dont know what the problem was, but its working again.
gloob

Post by gloob »

In my case the trigger pin got itself loose and turned a bit, so it wasn't flush. This bound the slide up rock solid when I tried to put it back on.
JoWR

Post by JoWR »

I bought mags from keepshooting and they did not lock the slide back when the mag emptied. The original mags locked it. I checked the locking lever and discovered that the lever did not rise enough on the keepshooting mag to stop the forward movement of slide. To remedy this, I disassembled the slide and gently flattened the part the spring pushes up to allow the plate to rise higher in the mag when the last round is used. This caused the lifter to allow the area that contacts the lever to be the same distance that is exposed for the lever to catch the lever as the original mags. The amount I had to raise the shelf was approximately 1mm.
Some care has to be taken, so that the part that lifts the rounds can still move freely in the mag.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum JoWR thanx for posting how to fix keepshooting mags.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

This isn't entirely the same problem but I didn't want to make a new thread.

I just received my pistol and already got the slide stuck while putting it back together, and it seems budged pretty good. See the pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/b7RSk

It looks to be stuck because I failed to fully engage the track when putting the slide back on. I removed the magazine and tried, but all of my hand strength can't get it to move. Applied some gun oil to the parts in contact but still nothing.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

Quick response - looked some more on this forum for some ideas. Tossed on some work gloves and worked it like it owed me money. It slid off.

Thanks so much for this great forum.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

FOF11 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 11:47 am Quick response - looked some more on this forum for some ideas. Tossed on some work gloves and worked it like it owed me money. It slid off.
Glad you got it sorted. I am a big fan of trying Gloves first before anything else. It gives you the extra grip you need to get parts moved. The next logical step could be less forgiving on smaller parts.

Also, have you recently changed your Recoil Spring? There have been many issues with Wolff Recoil Springs binding up the Slide with the Frame in the manner you pictured. This is due to the Aftermarket Springs not matching the Original, and having extra material. The fix is to grind the ends of the Aftermarket Springs flush to match that of the ends of the Original Springs. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&#p39176
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

I have not changed any springs, although I will. That DA is too stout for me! I have smaller hands, I can get all 3 fingers on the grip comfortably.

Before I change any springs I want to take it to the range for a function test however. However I recently posted in another thread about a free floating trigger issue, I think it's my trigger bar. Need to resolve that first!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

FOF11 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 2:36 pm I have not changed any springs, although I will. That DA is too stout for me! I have smaller hands, I can get all 3 fingers on the grip comfortably.

Before I change any springs I want to take it to the range for a function test however. However I recently posted in another thread about a free floating trigger issue, I think it's my trigger bar. Need to resolve that first!
Now we are talking about two other, totally different springs than above.

1) To ease the Trigger pull it will be the Hammer Spring you will need to replace. There are plenty of step by steps on here for that. I'd suggest tho that you get the Multi-pack with the three different weights. On some P-64 the lightest weight causes light strikes while on others they work just fine. Also the light you go the closer to a "hair" Trigger you will get for Single Action mode, many don't like this.

2) The Trigger "free floating" is an issue with the Trigger Spring. A replacement is available here with instructions from our very own Norm Sutton. This Trigger Spring is better than the Original. Look about half way down this page: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php

Also these are really helpful when trying to solve/fix any issues:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.